Atheists More Religious Than Christians?

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Dwight Ward, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No opinion, thx.

Your own source /link is sufficient here I believe to quiet any argument also >>
    From the link:
    "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigation Jump to search
    "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" (alternatively "How many angels can stand on the point of a pin?"[1]) is a reductio ad absurdum challenge to medieval scholasticism in general, and its angelology in particular, as represented by figures such as Duns Scotus and Thomas Aquinas.[2][3] It is first recorded in the 17th century, in the context of Protestant apologetics.

It also has been linked to the fall of Constantinople, with the imagery of scholars debating while the Turks besieged the city.[4][5]

In modern usage, the term has lost its theological context and is used as a metaphor for wasting time debating topics of no practical value, or questions whose answers hold no intellectual consequence, while more urgent concerns accumulate.[1][4]"

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  3. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, Jeff, that whizzing sound you just heard was my point flying past your head. You offered a a numerical answer to a question that was clearly a reductio ad absurdum.....

Which is why I gave you the link....

Have a nice day.

Beth Gallagher and Jeff Elohim like this.
  4. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Silvia, we can all agree here that no one should be rude, unkind, or unloving to another. But I wonder what defines "insulted" when talking about others.

In the Bible, Psalms 14:1 says: The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." There are other references in the Bible to suggest that this is God's view, not just King David's. Thus, a Christian would be justified in considering any Atheist as a fool and might somehow reflect that view during a religious discussion. Would that be insulting?

I'm guilty myself of calling groups of people fools for believing the wrong things - did it today in fact with my other post here. Christians have a delicate tightrope to walk because we're compelled to spread the Word, which means distinguishing between right and wrong and inevitably offending people with opposing views. Some of us are less tactful than others for sure, and when feelings get hurt people shy away from discussing such matters at all.

I think we should all be able to discuss religion, politics, and serious matters with others, counter each others' opinions and belief systems, and condemn what we view is wrong. At the same time, we (Christians at least) are commanded to do so kindly, with respect, in a loving manner. In effect, we may condemn the act, but not the person.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

[QUOTE
    I think we should all be able to discuss religion, politics, and serious matters with others, counter each others' opinions and belief systems, and condemn what we view is wrong. At the same time, we (Christians at least) are commanded to do so kindly, with respect, in a loving manner. In effect, we may condemn the act, but not the person.[/QUOTE]

I agree all the way but some people may condemn the act AND the person as well... because, as I said before, they are afraid of the other person being right and, then, having to revise everything they believed in up to that moment.
    Also, there are people who ignore other people's experience to the point they are more than insulting

6. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Fair enough Silvia. We can agree on something, and I'll apologize now for when I inevitably but invertently cross the line.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sylvia, you wrote a statement that said, “some people just always have to be right”. Thus far, in every thread (except the hobby ones) whether people agree with you or not, you have to argue.
    Now, no one is trying to insult you nor most certainly condemn you but I merely call you out on your own words. You wrote that you do not tell anyone what to think yet you are constantly doing so and I dare write that every time you gave a grade to a student you told them how wrong or right they were.

Please, just think before you write and maybe everyone can have a nice conversation.

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Billy Sunday would have loved ya.........

Joe Riley and Joseph Carl like this.
  9. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I don't recall having discussed about religion or any other subject with you.
    As I said, people should respect other person experience on any given matter.

10. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Your sarcasm amazes me. Gee, life, allow me to walk away from those who need their words to be accepted by everybody.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That’s what I mean Sylvia. You have a definite need to be right. Arrogant perhaps....boring definitely.....ciao.