Auto Inspections

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

From another of my hang-outs, a guy in Thailand responded to question about the vehicular safety inspection program there. Here is his response:

"We have a similar "inspection" here. Lights, bodywork, tyres, brakes, steering, emissions, etc. All vehicles over 7 years old and motor bikes upon 5 years old. It's fascinating what gets through."

[​IMG]

Frank

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

:eek: Don't move to Thailand :eek:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Staff Member Greeter Patron Registered

When I lived in Texas, I knew a guy who owned a repair shop and inspection station. He would drop off a sticker for me when he noticed mine was about to expire, and I don't know of any reason why mine wouldn't have passed an actual inspection. Here in Maine, I don't know of anyone who would pass off an inspection sticker without an inspection but everyone knows where to bring their car for the least likelihood of a problem, and where not to bring it.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Well-Known Member
    Registered

The old lick and stick inspection stations are few and far between ever since NY started emissions testing. The station hooks up your OBD and put in a tail pipe sniffer. The diagnostics are run in Albany,,so the local guy cannot spoof your readings.
    I undestand thre is a device that can mask your readings on the black market, the only case I have heard about the owner was leasing the device with a kickback for each use.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Our first inspection in MO after moving from Phoenix, the guy without any warning, began ripping the tint off the windows of my wife's Cobra. I was outraged! He simply said illegal in MO. It had taken me an entire day to apply it, wennt so far as to remove the doors' interior panels.

Next time, went to the recommended local guy. The inspection form had boxes to be checked for brakes inspected, horn, tires, turns signals, etc. The guy filled out the form in his office, marked all the inspected points "OK", took my money, then went outside and put the sticker inside the windshield, never having even looked at the car! Some years later, he was caught at it, and fined.
    Frank