Auto Shop

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

i am sitting in an auto shop, wishing I wasn't here. I had an appointment just to have my rearview mirror replaced because it had fallen off. On the way here, a rattle started, which turned out to be a tailpipe, so I am getting that fixed too.

Then, they noted that my inspection had expired. I don't drive my 2002 Chevrolet Tracker a lot, and the local police don't look for things like inspection stickers, but I told them to go ahead and do the inspection.

I shouldn't have, because this place is way too picky. I could bring it down the street a half block and there's another place that would just sell me the sticker.

This guy is finding things that have been like that since I bought it used in 2008, and passed eight times by other inspection stations.

Never again.

Frank Sanoica and Ike Willis like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG] [​IMG]Price: $4.34
    [​IMG]

K E Gordon and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

The Tracker RV mirror is not so easily replaced. It is very heavy, includes electric cords, and it didn't simply come loose from the windshield. It took a part of the glass with it.

Unfortunately, it's not a simple plastic mirror that can be glued back up.

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just had my oil changed and tires rotated and everything else checked while I was at my daughter's house because my favorite mechanic shop is there. On my drive down, the minute I got on the highway my tire pressure menu and alert came on and flashed the whole 3 hr trip. Mine should be 38 and they were 27 but I was driving around Fresno with 27 with no alert coming on. Anyway they rotated them and filled them. Also told them to check battery, etc. I think I paid $50 for everything.

These people also worked on my old Altima before. They're good and they're cheap so that's why I go 150 miles to get my car serviced.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

they'll get ya one way or another. oh you have a flat tire?? you need a new car. might be surprised how many suckers they reel in. most of us have little or no knowledge about cars.

:):)

Frank Sanoica and Joe Riley like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's why I go to 150 miles to have work done. The owner is from Iran or Iraq or somewhere like that, I'm not sure.

But looks like he was born here, he could be Hispanic all I know but he is fair and he is excellent. His place is always jam packed but if you make an appt it doesn't take long. I usually just drop it off and my daughter is there to get me and we just do our running around and pick it up when were done.

7. Ken Anderson

Okay, that wasn't so bad. It wasn't bad at all. It cost me a few hours of my time but it cost me less than a hundred dollars for the mirror replacement, the tailpipe, and the inspection.

Joe Riley and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's worth it. Time isn't a factor for me because I don't wait for my car.

9. Ken Anderson

I was expecting a fairly quick fix, and wasn't anticipating the tailpipe or the inspection. Otherwise, I'd have brought my Kindle.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Red Green says "duct tape is the answer".

th (16).jpe cpY40.jpg

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

At least if it's a long repair, you have Michele to pick you up. In Fresno, I'm stuck there all day because there's nobody I can call.

12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

The mirror fell off our explorer last year. I took it to the glass company and they reattached it in just a few minutes. The cost ..... $8 bucks.

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Sheldon Scott

That's why we drive Explorers. Easy to fix. (usually).
    Frank

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ike Willis

Really good one, Ike! Best laugh I had today! Frank

15. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Car maintenance, huh, such a big hassle. We have come to terms with the car maintenance that we bring it to the dealer's shop for the regular maintenance. It is very expensive compared to the ordinary garage mechanics but the advantage with the dealer's repair shop is the guarantee against breakdown. At least they have a guide (based on the age of the car and the mileage as well) which parts are needing replacement even if they are still working well.

In the last maintenance chekc of August 23, the mechanic in the dealer's shop recommended replacing the brake pads. Oh, the 2 brake pads in front cost 15k pesos, that's around $300, really expensive. But I have the peace of mind that I am driving a car that would not break down just like that. As what my husband would say, that's the price you pay, huh.

Frank Sanoica likes this.