Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Bobby Cole, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It is somewhat of a curiosity to me as to the motivation behind some of our avatars. I know of one gentleman who uses a flower for his, and when I asked whether or not he was a botonist he told me no and the flower was his wife's favorite. I still, for whatever reason, do not understand how that might be a reflection of the gentleman but it's his avatar and what he does with it is his business, I say.

As for mine, it's subject to change anytime my wife gets the urge to play with it. For now, it is one thing and later she might get a little frisky and it is another. I do, after all, as a good husband try to keep her happy, morning, noon, or night she can play with it all she wants.
    I guess it is as she either sees me or wants to see me. Thank goodness a picture of Patrick Swazy in a pair of swimming trunks hasn't shown up, or worse, a guy in a tu-tu. God knows what that motivation might be and I dare not think of it lest it provoke a bad dream or something too horrible to imagine. Me.....in a tu-tu!! I do digress........

What does your Avatar say of you. Does it portray your desires, destiny, personality, character or perhaps your past or hopeful future? Do tell.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Oh, Bobby (my Dear), posts such as this could get you into SO much trouble.....
    You just think that some guy in a tu-tu is worrisome ! I am sure that i can find others that might startle you as well.
    I am particularly thinking now that I might put on the "Pink Llama" picture for your avatar. Or maybe that cute Alice in Wonderland one that is the White Rabbit holding the alarm clock, and has your face in it......you DO remember that one, right ? ?
    However, I will refrain, because I do so love it when you build me those little planters and such as that.
    But still......it would be fun.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Diane Lane and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, for this forum, since it deals with "seniors", I wanted something that evoked "times gone by", but also had something to do with me. I am creative and love to quilt. I just learned a few years ago how to machine quilt, so this old-timely sewing machine seemed to fit the bill.

I also use this one on a couple of other sites - I love music, and it's ability to lighten my mode. It so strongly portrays how music makes me feel. Blissful, happy, young at heart!
    Puppy%20earphones[1].jpg

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Your post brings up a question - do you change your avatar on a particular forum? While I like the sewing machine, I've found some that I like better, but I feel like it identifies me here - that if I change it now, my new posts will seem to be coming from someone else.

Does anyone else feel that way? That your avatar is more of an identifier than your name is on forums?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

I just joined, so I don't know where my avatar came from. It's nice anyway, so I'll keep it awhile, although I do change mine a lot, once I figure out how to do it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I change my avatar whenever I feel like it, Mal. I like one for a while and then I see something else that seems like it fits better for me at that point, so I change it.
    I usually also put on special avatars for different seasons and holidays. Chipper in his Christmas hat is one that usually happens every Christmas season. The one I have now is one of the little Shorkies that i used to raise, and it just seems to evoke a playfulness side of my spirit to me.

@Dave Sun , I added an avatar for you when I was trying to help you get your registration done. I sent you a PM about how to change it. (look for the little notification on your profile page)

7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

The character in my avatar is my fictional alter-ego Duck Holiday. It would take too long to explain all of the details behind the in-joke, but some of it involves Romania, a British cartoon character called Count Duckula and my Eastern Europe travel blog.

8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

My avatar certainly evokes "time goes by" if you know what I mean ;)

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I always liked to call a cup of coffee, a "cup of Joe"! My first avatar was the mug of Joe Riley, a legend in the history of the Texas Rangers, who loaned me his handle. He proved to be rather stark!;)
    631769283ad22575bca97723ea151010.jpg 1900texasrangercirclestarobvtn.jpg

Yvonne Smith and Diane Lane like this.
  10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:My avatar displays the hibiscus flower denoting Hawaii. I just want to display a part of home to the world. Using the red hibiscus is a good luck color. Red & green attracts money so it is believed in feng shui, so I have the colors in my avatar. Showing coconut trees also depicts a tropical island like Hawaii, so I choose this picture of coconut trees and a red hibiscus. I have other avatars for different sites too meaning different things. Like my fire breathing dragon at gsn.com where I sometimes play games. I like to show a fierce thing like a fire breathing dragon for playing games like a warrior fierce and strong and hopefully invincible when I play games!!! :rolleyes:

Diane Lane and Lara Moss like this.
  11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I decided to change my avatar. After my husband died my hair started to go white and silver around the top and the side of my face, so I decided to accent it. Most women want to look younger, not me, Having white and silver hair make me feel right about myself, and it also keeps the men in the dating game away from me. After 47 years with my deceased husband, I'm just not interested in anything but my portraits, pottery, and gardening. I'm old and proud of it, I have aspired to get to this age all my life. The doctors said I never live past 10, yet here I am, still.

12. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

My avatar most everywhere has been a sunflower, the first picture taken with a digital camera, in my back yard. My computer took the one displayed at the moment and my avatar is subject to change without notice. You're looking good, Ina.

13. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

This avatar is me with my newest great daughter, who I just met at our reunion a few weeks ago.

14. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I rarely put my face on anything online, or my real name, for that matter. I used to post pictures and share openly about myself and my life, but once I picked up a crazy stalker, I changed that. I love cats and nature, so I'll often use those for my avatars. There are a few sites I post on that required an actual person photo. I could have picked some random picture of someone else, but instead, I decided to post an old picture of myself on those sites.

15. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs, I like seeing your picture Bill, it gives me a image to mentally put with the man, who's writings I so enjoy reading. You are such a character, and now I can picture you as you 'speak'. Don't be such a stranger, write more.

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.