Baby Squirrels

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Von Jones, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I looked in the backyard and saw baby squirrels jumping from limb to limb chasing after each other. This will be the second litter that I've seen in 15 years. Not as many as the first one though - six so far. I've also notice that my crocuses are dwindling away no doubt they are feasting on them.:oops: Well at least I'll get to enjoy my daffodils and irises.:)

Ruby Begonia and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here, we had a couple of very small squirrels last spring. Once they are out of the nest, they are on their own, it seems, because no one was doing interference for them at the food dish. The adults kept running them off, so they came back later in the afternoon after the adults had finished. They grow fast, though. By the end of the summer, they were nearly the same size as the adults, the only difference being that our squirrels are Eastern Gray Squirrels and, while they have a lot of reddish-brown on them when they are young, they become all gray as adults.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

These squirrels are all gray. Once in a while I'll see a reddish brown one that's an adult, I guess. So I can assume that I'll only have the family makers left this summer. I wonder if there are more still in the nest.

4. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Squirrels love their fun in everyone's yards around where I live in Houston .... I see so many everyday, jumping and swinging from tree to tree like Tarzan. They love to tease my dogs, and the dogs fall for it every time!

They are such clever animals -- trying to find a bird feeder that they can't attack is darn near impossible..

Ruby Begonia and Von Jones like this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

My dog hates squirrels and my old dog from long ago hated them too.

I have a long planter with soil in it hanging on the deck rail. Squirrels have hidden acorns in the soil and now they sit on the rail and eat them, right in front of the slider where doggie sits staring helplessly at them. But if I ever opened that door doggie would charge out like a little bull!

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When my cat, Ella, trees the squirrels, often more than one at a time, I can hear the squirrels chattering at her. Sometimes one of them will descend from the tree, just out of Ella's reach, to be sure that she can hear whatever it is that they have to say to her.

Ruby Begonia and Von Jones like this.