Backcountry

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chrissy Cross, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Just watched this and it was brutal. Thought about you @Ken Anderson amd your land in Maine...watch out for those bears.

This was based on a true story and it was scarier than any horror movie Ive seen.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope, not watching that...shivers...

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I know that I'll never go camping after watching it, not that I was planning on going anyway.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Chrissy Cross, yeah I saw that movie. Black bears don't really do that, though. At least that wouldn't be normal behavior. While it might be based on a real movie, my guess is that the real one was a brown bear. Although it would be unusual for grizzlies to be so relentless, they'd be more likely to be dangerous than a black bear. Even more dangerous are the, oh so cute polar bears.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Still scary...and you're right though...it was very loosely based on the true story but there have been people killed by bears.

As for polar bears, chances of me seeing one are slim unless it's at a zoo.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We seen a small brown bear while driving out of Yellowstone NP. A Game Warden had stopped on the highway where it was to make sure a vehicle didn't hit it.

Yes, there are a number of movies that say "based on real events", but there are added things in the movie to make it more interesting to certain viewers. One of the most famous trained Grizzly bears was Bart the Bear. He was in many movies. Another movie, The Blind Side, was stated "based on real events", but there was added things to the movie that never happened to the black football player the movie was about.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes @Cody Fousnaugh ...I think this one was half truth and half fiction.

Don't know what the real story was...I did see one story from Canada and the couple was married in it and I think it was the woman that was killed by the bear.

I need to do some more checking to find the real story...didn't do this yesterday.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Here's the real story.

[​IMG]
    Jacqueline Perry in this family photo. (CP PHOTO/Brantford Expositor - HO)

A black bear that may have learned to prey on humans killed a woman and injured her husband at a provincial park in northern Ontario.

Police and wildlife officials were on the hunt for the wounded bear Wednesday and campers have been ordered out of the back country of Missinaibi Lake Provincial Park.

Jacqueline Perry and Mark Jordan, both 30, were attacked at a campsite in the provincial park about 80 kilometres north of Chapleau.

Ontario Provincial Police said that while the bear was attacking Perry, her husband managed to stab it with a Swiss Army knife in a frantic effort to keep it from dragging his wife into the woods.

Perry was a family doctor at Grandview Medical Centre in Cambridge, Ont.

The couple were on a two-week holiday, camping and kayaking at a remote campsite when the black bear attacked.

OPP Const. Karen Farand said after fighting off the bear, the injured Jordan carried his wife to their kayak and started paddling to the nearest campsite. He yelled for help, and a father and son from Pennsylvania heard him and took Perry into their boat.

They soon flagged down another boat with a doctor from North Carolina and an off-duty police officer on board. The doctor tried to treat Perry while the boat continued on to the park office about 10 kilometres away, but Perry succumbed to her injuries.

"I've lived here all my life and this is a first for me," said Farand. "I can't even imagine what [the couple] went through."

Keith Scott, a bear expert with the Ministry of Natural Resources, said such attacks are very rare.

"There's only been four fatalities in Ontario through black bears dating back to about 1978," he said. "This one in this particular case, it's early in the investigation, but it appears to be a predatory-type bear. These bears have learned to and often prey on humans."

There have been a number of bear attacks across Canada this summer.

A Manitoba man fended off a black bear in early September, just one week after a black bear killed another man in the province. There have been four grizzly bear attacks in Alberta since June, including a fatal one on a female jogger near Canmore. And a woman in British Columbia was mauled by a bear in May.

• [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]