Backlog On 3d Firearms

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

This is really spreading like a Virus!

But how can a plastic gun barrel stand up to the heat and pressure of a regular Cartridge and Bullet?

Hal

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know enough about it yet but I did see an insert that can be put in a plastic gun for the extra force. We had inserts to go into plastic flare guns used by boaters so you could put in a small caliber shot gun shell for protection. It was illegal but it woulds save you when you where anchored in a strange place. There was nylon 22 for sale when I was young don't know just how much was nylon.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've read that you can't expect a 3D plastic gun to last very long but my question would be, what is the sign that it's worn out? When it blows up in your hand?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner @Martin Alonzo @Ken Anderson
    The "poop" on plastic guns: no plastic barrel will withstand 30,000 psi of pressure. Tensile strengths of plastics range from around 1,000 to 12,000 psi, that latter being for Nylon. The Remington Nylon 66 .22 rifle had a standard steel barrel and operating mechanism, with a nylon stock.

"The Remington Nylon 66 is a rifle manufactured by Remington Arms from 1959 to 1989. It was one of the earliest mass-produced rifles to feature a stock made from a material other than wood."

(See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Nylon_66)

There is a reinforced "plastic" called "Glass-Epoxy" having a tensile strength of 38,000 psi, still too low for most handgun ammunition, and I suspect it's too brittle, and may not be compatible with 3-D printing. Another smokescreen blown like that for the Glock "plastic" pistols, as capable of being detected as any other.

Now, if any of you recall a movie with John Malkovich, in which he hand-fashioned a small .22 caliber handgun of wood, undetectable, to assassinate a politician?

Frank

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank, that movie was "In The Line Of Fire", with Malkovich and Eastwood.

Malkovich killed 2 duck hunters who wanted to "try out" his newly-invented non-metal handgun, killing 2 swimming ducks just for sport.

Hal

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    Thanks! I had only seen short bits and pieces, never the whole flick. Really liked Malkovich in "Con Air"!
    Frank