Backsaw For The Diy Handywoman

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Faye Fox, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Adding a little fine toothed backsaw to you tool collection may come in handy. Sawing dowels flush is made easy with a fine toothed backsaw. The cutting stroke is always BACK and then a slight lift to push forward. The flexible blade makes a clean neat cut possible.I keep a supply of square and round craft hardwood pieces, because they come in handy for so many repairs or creating a craft piece. I use the little squared pieces to support flimsy drawer bottoms. Once cut to fit, they can be glued and clamped under the bottom. Dowels have so many uses, one being restoring a worn screw hole. A little backsaw can make all this easier and your work neater. They are not expensive and available at any hardware store. Note blade guide finger bent for safety.

BS 1.jpg BS 2.jpg BS dowel.jpg

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Patron Registered

We have more tools than enough probably, in our tool collection, including dozens of every different types of saws ... but I must admit I've never seen or heard of a fine toothed backsaw!! Looks like a handy little tool

Micki Pembroke and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Faye Fox

Registered

Here is a bigger Japanese backsaw with different tooth size on each side. This is an awesome saw especially for wood furniture repairs and making. If anyone in your family does a lot of woodwork, especially joinery, then they would love this one. Made in Japan and a bit expensive, but amazing!
    JS11.jpg

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Patron Registered

My father was a carpenter /joiner....

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  5. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Have always had one in the tool collection, learned about this saw from my Dad.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

Here is the type I use fairly often. May be used with teeth facing in either direction; uses a standard hack saw blade, easily replaced or turned around. Will cut fairly "tight" radius of curvature. Very good for drywall openings for electric outlets and switch boxes.

upload_2019-11-14_21-33-7.png

7. Faye Fox

Registered

Yes those are really handy, Frank. Nice for sawing off nails or bolts that can't be reached by hacksaw. Great point about blade can be turned to push or pull. It is a necessary for any DIY tool collection.

Frank Sanoica and Nancy Hart like this.