Backyard Vegetable Garden

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Corie Henson, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe the mirror confuses them, Corie. When I look in a mirror I feel like regurgitating too.

We might get a few sweet potatoes this year but we sure don't need any. Some of last years were sprouting so I planted a few late. They may make some before frost.

John Nopales likes this.
  2. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

NOTHING in this world is as good as fresh picked corn boiled in buttery water until its ready to have more butter slapped on it, and eaten. That corn will be gone as soon as I can pick it. But the trade sounds like a good plan! It just may take me a while to get there, lol

The scarecrow was my husband's idea. We added some cans so that if the wind hit it, it would make that noise. But you can hang cans from anywhere. The only purpose that scarecrow serves is 1) to make my husband feel clever (which he is!), and 2) to scare the living crap out of me when I am in the other part of the yard, and see it out of the corner of my eye lmao

That made me laugh when I read about the bird's regurgitating on your car mirror. Maybe if you cover the mirror when the car is parked they'll leave it alone.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That's what we do now - cover the side mirror with cloth so the birds will not perch and regurgitate on it. And it's only the left side mirror of the car in the driveway (the other car is inside the garage, safer).

Back to your corn, would you believe that we travel to a distant town of about 25 kilometers just to buy fresh boiled corn? In the town of Teresa in Rizal province, they have plantations of the so called Pearl corn. The peculiarity of that variety is the size - almost all corn ears are of the same size and same quality of kernels. They are sold for 12 pesos per ear - that's roughly 30 cents. Sweet but not very sweet, it is white corn that has a good texture, somewhat sticky.

4. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

You may get a little jealous, but where I live you can't go more than 1/2 mile without running into another corn field. You have to be careful and check to make sure it isn't field corn. But whenever I don't have my own growing I have always had fresh corn. We just stop on the side of the road and grab a few ears.

Corie Henson likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Jennifer Graves, I noticed that you said Field Corn, is that a typo or is that a type of corn that people do not eat? Hmm, I really get jealous with that - stopping by the side of the road to harvest corn... that you did not plant, huh. That's great of those farmers to share their crops.

Last year, someone planted corn in the vacant field near our house. I was kind of excited when my husband reported that she saw Elvie's husband planting corn. Elvie is a distant neighbor quite close to us. After 2 months, Elvie came knocking on our gate. I was already smiling upon seeing her face because I was imagining the corn she had brought. But there was no corn and she only came to ask information about a bank account (she knows that I work in a bank). And where is the corn? Elvie said the loose goats ate all the corn seedlings!!!

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm sure Jennifer will answer for herself the next time she's in the forum but I expect she's referring to what I knew as cow corn. It was certainly edible and, as a child, I often preferred it to sweet corn, but cow corn was grown to be used for silage, or to feed animals. In my family, we ate cow corn often, even when my dad was growing sweet corn.

John Nopales and Corie Henson like this.
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Same here on the corn. Field corn and sweet corn are different and both are good to eat. Field corn has that old fashioned corn taste that some people prefer. Field corn is also the corn used to make corn meal.

It's still hot and we need rain but I tilled one of the raised beds and planted purple cauliflower yesterday. I only had seven seeds left and I dropped one of them. Still, six heads of cauliflower is a lot if they all make it..

8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The roots are great like horse radish great condiment

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My seedlings are getting leggy need to transplant. Thinking of going back to hydopnoc. Only thing is setting them up,then its easy going.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Transplanting our leggy squash and other seedlings. Hubby is doing it for me.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Our little bell pepper plant has produced one or two peppers so far. And the cherry tomato vine is growing so fast!

12. Martin Alonzo

Registered

My dads trick when planting seed was to mix radish seeds into everything. They grow fast to mark the row and as the others get started you pull the radishes and eat them and give more space to the seeds you wanted.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is a good way to mark rows of things that are slow to germinate, most often carrots, but transplants don't usually need marked rows.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

The main reason I sowed the seeds was to see if they were still ok afte being froze for 10 years. Well some were not put up quite 100 years bu yes all came out just fine. it wasn't the seeds it was not proper care.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Last week I harvested part of my plants

72d94383-5153-4efe-9a99-ef1e5ff9a9bc.jpg