Baffling Brexit?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Harry Havens, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

I won't pretend to understand the craziness surrounding Brexit, but some things simply baffle me.

Why would the importation of goods be halted overnight? Is there some secret ray gun that would destroy shipments from any where else? How are they currently handled? Why couldn't the current customs administration continue the current methods (Which is the EU system), while shifting those methods in an orderly fashion. Is there some copyright or trademark attached to the EU system?

I get where the EU would likely stop UK products from entering the EU, but what mad scientist dreamed up the notion that trade couldn't continue unabated INTO the UK? Am I expected to believe that all the companies shipping goods into the UK, will simultaneously chop off their sales due to some imaginary border or some EU/UK edict? Has the EU talked about banning shipments into the UK?

If trade is stopped from entering the UK, it would most likely be due to UK government actions.

It is just so baffling to me, that the UK government is preparing to deploy 3,500 troops to man the barricades. I must really be missing what is creating this hysteria.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

The answer to your question quoted above is - Remainers ! Those that don't wish to leave
    They are doing their best to destroy the 'leave vote'
    You say you're confused, the majority of people worldwide must be too
    This Government have handled Brexit so badly, particularly Mrs. May - its not doing me health any good I can tell you
    I wish I didn't feel so strongly about it and could just shrug me shoulders as the EU do !

3. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

upload_2018-12-19_4-53-48.jpeg

"There'll Always Be an England"

4. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Harry Havens - just to add - I've no idea why the troops are on standby, I've switched off the news in protest ! :p

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It's all absolute nonsense designed to scare the masses . There's people starting to 'prep' .... storing food and medicines like there was going to be a war!! Disgraceful of the media to scaremonger like this....

6. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Spot on Holly

Interesting fact.

I go to Vegas at least twice a year.

In fact have just come back after12 day stay and flight and hotel cost £601

Just tried to book again for the end of March cost £1200

Tried to book later in April as well No rooms are being sold.

7. Holly Saunders

Registered

Hmmmm...interesting Tom, ...the panicking is getting completely out of hand. I fear for the older and disabled people who are on their own have no-one to help them make sense of all of this

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It is interesting indeed. Yvonne and I have a writer friend who lives somewhere outside of London. She is the caregiver for her parents who are quite up in age. Our friend isn’t rich by any means of the word and barely scrapes by just making sure her parents are well cared for.

I’ll have to write or skype her to see what effects she is finding and maybe even try to help out however little we can.

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

Good idea... I live outside of London ( in the countryside) perhaps she lives near me..that would be a co-incidence.... however that's a great idea about making sure your friend is coping with all the hype..Lots of people are scared witless!!

Bobby Cole and Harry Havens like this.
  10. Harry Havens

Registered

My curiousity on the subject led me through many articles and finally the logistics of trade. The latter seems to be the issue. Shipping containers whether trucks (lorries), sea going vessels or rail, all have something in common... they rarely remain empty during their roundtrips. Stalling at the EU customs stations reduces the availabity of shipping systems available for the return trip to the UK... or at least the timeliness of returns. How that plays out seems to be the real issue regarding potential shortages.

Even taking that into consideration and it certainly would be very disruptive... the UK is a net importer from the EU, with that balance in the $150B annual range. $53B of which is the difference between Germany and the UK. Am I to believe that Germany is willing to sacrifice $88B in exports to the UK to allow the EU to squelch $35B in imports from the UK? (that $88B would represent 2.2% of Germany's GDP).

This whole thing is reminiscent of the Y2K hysteria, in which there were justified concerns in some areas, but got blown completely out of proportion and extended into areas that had "0" potential for disruption.

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

If the Brexit deal had been handled 'right' we obviously wouldn't be in this mess
    Unbelievable, when you see we held all the cards/ bargaining tools - what a bloomin' stupid mess !
    I must take to me sofa now, with a nice cold cloth to soothe me weary head ……...

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

precisely.... I wonder how we managed before joining the EU in '75 in the first place... we must have all been living in holes in the ground , in rags and eating bread and water, with no jobs... :rolleyes:

Bobby Cole and Harry Havens like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I realize that I am quite ignorant of the whole affair but why did the U.K. become part of such a conglomeration in the first place.
    I understand the need for equitable and fair trading and even a greater alliance for military purposes but to be literally ruled by an unelected official(s) is beyond my comprehension. Being told what kind of toaster a person can or cannot purchase or what kinds of soap is available would provoke me enough to have me sent to the jailhouse for buying from the black market.

Like I wrote, I’m ignorant because I didn’t really follow the proceedings in the first place so now I’m playing catch up.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Harry Havens

Registered

Hmmm, now it has descended into reading Corbyn's lips. Did he mumble 'woman' or 'people'? I'm not sure how this will all turn out, but watching sky news is some of the best entertainment currently available, when comfortably seated 4,000 miles away.

Patsy Faye and Bobby Cole like this.