Bah-humbug People

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, there are those that don't like Christmas for whatever reasons. We have at least one neighbor (next door) that is exactly that way. To a point, the handicapped 75 yr. old mother, and her 55 yr. old daughter, don't like any holidays and most people. Wife and I have had a short talk with both and both come off just that way. The mother said to us, "we just want people to leave us alone!". Funny, but when we mentioned how the neighbor is to our maintenance girl, she said "I totally understand".

So, do you know any "Bah-Humbug" folks?

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

How about the whole Jehovah’s Witness sect? They celebrate No holidays or other celebrations other than marriage anniversaries.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, Bobby, didn't know that.

But, without the "bah-humbug" attitude, I didn't really celebrate Christmas during the 21 years I was single/divorced. If I seen a neighbor displaying nice Christmas lights, I'd commend them for it. I bought my own presents. Basically, things I wanted, but maybe didn't need. Didn't decorate at all though.

My wife really, really got me into the whole Christmas thing/celebrating. She absolutely loves Christmas and decorating. We went, twice, to the old Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, California for their Christmas Show, The Glory Of Christmas. Absolutely terrific! Have a DVD of this now and will watch it on Christmas Eve instead of attending a Christmas Eve Service.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I suppose, with what's going on right now (virus restrictions), before/during Christmas holiday, there is probably many folks that could act like Mr. Scrooge. My SIL doesn't act like Mr. Scrooge, but is very, very disappointed that the family she has, that live somewhat close to her, she will only see on Zoom on Christmas morning. Yes, we've already got the "invite" from our niece.

As for wife and I, we've only been around my wife's sister, on Thanksgiving 2002, since moving out of So California. She flew out to Colorado and we stayed at her Time Share for Thanksgiving that year in the mountains.

There are reasons that people get the "humbug-Scrooge" feelings at Christmas. I just wonder what they are. Actually, there are those that seem to have the feelings, not just at Christmas, but all year long.

5. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Tell her to watch the movie "Its a Wonderful Life". I usually see it once or twice a year, among others. I know its a little silly, but it makes one think.

I will also miss the Christmas Pageant at our church this year. Of course there will be a "virtual service of singing", but it will not be the same.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

See... you have your answer. Leave the people alone.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

In all honesty, Hugh, I don't think the mother wants anyone to talk to her, except for the manager here, of course.

What we (wife and I) do know, the mother was in an traffic accident; hit from behind. She can only walk with a cane, walker or in a wheelchair. Her daughter works for the Post Office and has a few more years until retirement. The daughter told me that, before moving to the complex, they have lived in some pretty "shady" places. The weekend they moved in, the mother had her purse stolen out of her car. The car was unlocked and isn't equipped with an alarm. Neither the mother or daughter made a police report. The daughter told me, "the police won't do a thing" and since the vehicle was unlocked, they wouldn't.

Both just seem to be 100% fine with being unhappy.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So, that means that you wouldn't say Merry Christmas to them??

Don't know about you, Beth, but I very seldom do what someone asks me to do. LOL

But, truthfully, we do leave them alone, but have talked to our family about them. They've said to us, "sure glad I don't live next to someone like that."

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Don't they celebrate their version of Easter?

10. John Brunner

Most people have experiences that justify the way that they are.
    And some people are the opposite of what their experiences would dictate.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not really. Easter is considered a pagan ritualistic holiday and with that, since it isn’t mentioned anywhere in the New Testament, they may memorialize Jesus at some time or other but do not celebrate His resurrection.

Now, it isn’t that they are not “followers of Christ” but by limiting the deity of Jesus to “a god” which is most notable in their version of John I:I, (Logos to ana logos) celebrations of Jesus birth and resurrection are considered to be historically pagan and of little value.

And to that I say, Bah, Humbug!......Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Interesting. I knew that the timing of Christmas was merely co-opting the pagan Solstice celebrations, but did not know that of Easter. But it makes sense, since all those spring Equinox parties would be going on as well.

I find it interesting that we don't correct the timing of Christmas, since the clues related to the Star of Bethlehem in conjunction with the 3 Wise Men coming from the east, and the activities of Herod pretty much put the day more in the March/April time frame than at December. But we worship on Sunday instead of Saturday...