Baked Fried Rice

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by John Brunner, Feb 22, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I made this for the first time last night. It was pretty good, so I thought I'd share.

As the name implies, it's a fried rice recipe but you bake it with fresh uncooked rice rather than stir fry leftover cooked rice.

Since most of the effort with Chinese is in the prep work, I'm not sure this saves a lot of time over making traditional fried rice. But it makes a large quantity that bakes while you're doing something else, and it beats boiling rice first in order to make fried rice.

Baked Fried Rice

2 cups long-grain white rice
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1 tablespoon sesame oil, or to taste

3 cloves garlic, crushed
    ½ cup sliced green onions
    ½ cup diced red bell peppers
    ½ cup diced carrots
    ½ cup green peas
    1 cup diced ham (or chicken or beef or pork)

1 pinch salt to taste (Optional)

3 cups chicken broth
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 teaspoons chile paste (Optional)

Optional: finish with green onions and a runny poached egg on top

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place rice in a large baking dish. Drizzle in canola and sesame oils; toss to coat rice completely. Add garlic, green onions, bell peppers, carrots, peas, and ham (optional: saute veggies to add flavor.) Season with salt. Stir until well combined.

Combine chicken broth, soy sauce, and chile paste in a pot over high heat. Stir and bring to a boil. Pour on top of the rice and stir briefly. Cover top tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Bake in the preheated oven for 32 minutes. Remove and let stand for 10 minutes. Uncover; fluff rice with a fork. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Increase oven temperature to 475 degrees F. Return to the oven uncovered until rice is browned and crusted, about 10 minutes.

Optional: finish with green onions and a runny poached egg on top.

**************************************​
    I sauteed the veggies to meld the flavors.
    The comments said that some folks just used mixed veggies rather than mess with fresh.
    I'm used to making a stronger flavored rice, so next time I'm going to add 1TB Oyster Sauce to the broth mixture, although it tasted fine as is.

pdf attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021