Bar B Q

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by James Hintze, Feb 4, 2021.

1. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wife and I are still carnivorous, although we eat considerable less animal protein than we did when we were younger, which might be a factor in our good health.

Today we splurged and I prepared pork ribs on our outside grill. Absolutely delicious, if I might say so.

Digressing slightly; I grew up on a farm/ranch with cattle and pigs, along with the crops to support them. Dad and Uncle slaughtered the beef and had the local grocer cut up and package for freezing. The pork, being a bit more complicated, was slaughtered and packaged elsewhere. I might add here that it's likely that people under 50 have never tasted real bacon, but that's another screed.

Back to the pork ribs: they are delicious, which, again, most people during the past 4 decades or so have never experienced.

Wife and I travel quite a bit, and on our domestic travels I often try ribs when we dine out. Some are marginally edible. I don't know why I do it. The problem is the horrible stuff restaurant cooks feel obligated to spoil them with. I have no problem with garlic and other herbs that bring the flavor out, rather than overwhelming it.

If anybody finds this worth a comment, I might add something about beef.

John Brunner and Shirley Martin like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, living in Texas BBQ is a "thang." My son is a Pit Master with a couple of commercial sized pit/smokers on trailers. He caters events as a side hobby and makes quite a nice bit of extra cash that way. He is a 'Q Snob'. :D That said, I make baby back ribs quite often in my oven, then take them out after a couple of hours, slather with sauce, and finish on the grill or broiler.

John Brunner and Shirley Martin like this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher , Texas don't know a thing about BBQ. :p If'n you want real BBQ, you have to come to Eastern NC. Not the mountains. That stuff they make there ain't fit for a pig. :D

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Funny, I just bought chicken legs today to make on a grill I bought last Saturday. I haven't done BBQ in a long time.

For the past 6 years or so my small church has done a BBQ fund raiser (pre-COVID, of course.) Our Pitmaster rubs down the butts the night before and we set up 3 smokers at 5AM, tending to them all day long (all sorts of sides, of course.) It is quite the event.

I stored one of the smokers for a few years and made judicious use of it doing ribs. I've since lost used of it and bought a cheap bullet smoker, but can't seem to get the hang of it.

5. John Brunner

Gotta love that vinegar-based Q sauce!

6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have a couple pretty good BBQ places close by. My favorite though is Mission Barbecue because they serve a nicely done salmon fillet for right about $14. My wife has really bad seafood allergies so we can’t have it in the house (I love seafood of course) and this is the least expensive way for me to get my seafood fix. Their collard greens are tasty too.

https://mission-bbq.com/

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

There's a Mission BBQ I go to every once in a while in Midlothian ( southwest of Richmond.) It's good food. Plus they give to those who Serve & Protect (military, plus Federal/state/local LEOs.) $10,000,000+ so far.

Thomas Windom likes this.