Baseball Cards, Indian Arrowheads, And Other Things

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was a kid, or at least where I was a kid, we didn't collect things. We bought chewing gum with baseball cards. We traded them, we gambled them away in games of marbles, and we put them in the spokes of our bicycles. We wore them out, and eventually threw them away. Now, they are worth a lot of money but I don't know that kids are having fun with them anymore.

We could go into the woods of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where the Menominee tribe of American Indians once lived, and find Indian arrowheads and other artifacts. We made our own arrows and used these arrowheads in the purpose for which they had been crafted, shooting them into trees and such. We brought them to school. We traded for them, played with them, and eventually lost them.

These arrowheads were perhaps so prevalent that they weren't worth a whole lot of money, but they were a part of this continent's history that we surely didn't appreciate, growing up.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

There is a creek near me that must have been a campsite for native Americans. My boys picked up many arrowheads there when they were kids.