Baseball Pitching Variations

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When watching a baseball game from the Pitcher's viewpoint, I can't tell the difference between a Fast Ball, a Curve Ball, a Changeup or any other style of pitch.

Can you?
    Hal

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't even know the difference between softball and regular baseball, because it seems the balls are the same.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    Today's televised methods show that little "strike zone" box as seen from behind the pitcher, clearly shows where the ball passes. Really neat! I can always tell a "slider", as that was mostly what I threw (left-handed), curves and drops toward the same side as the pitching arm.
    Frank

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bess Barber
    Yep, they're all round! But, here ya go!

upload_2019-8-16_20-10-47.jpeg

"Softball Comparison
    On the left is a 16 inch softball that is used for Chicago style softball. In this game you do not wear a glove and the ball will become softer as the game is played. The yellow ball in the middle is a traditional 12 inch fast pitch softball. A baseball is on the right for comparison purposes."

We had never heard of 16-inch softball anywhere else but Chicago. In grammar school, we played with a 14-inch ball, easy for small hands to grasp. 12 inch is played with gloves; 16 and 14 were bare-handed. The 9-inch baseball on the right is hard as a rock. Requires good gloves, is the standard ball for professional baseball.
    Frank

Bess Barber likes this.