Be Happy It Wasn’t You

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Bobby Cole, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Philosophy, Psychology? Yeah, I think I’m in the right place.

To think a little about it, a sub-topic for this thread could be “there but for the grace of God go I”or “things that make ya go hmmmmm”, because whilst we concentrate on our own problems there are so many other people with greater problems than we have.

I heard about a man on the radio who had won a prize of 233 million bitcoins a few years ago for something he wrote. A hefty prize indeed so he did the most logical thing he could do with such a prize and locked it in a cyberspace vault for which, he can now no longer remember the password.
    The vault allows 10 chances to get the password correct and he has used 8 of them.

The bottom line is......It wasn’t me. It didn’t happen to me, I have so fewer problems than that guy does so I should be happy.

When I tried to look the story up I couldn’t find a link to that exact one but behold, there are at least 20 other incidents where people have a massive amount of bitcoins locked up but can’t get to them for the want of a password.
    One most notable on Google is a CEO who died and had something like 120 million in bitcoins locked up but no one can get to it.

Again, it didn’t happen to me so “there but for the grace of God”.

Somehow, this day just got better....!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Both

Bobby Cole and Shirley Martin like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I think everyone forgets a password every now and then but to forget one that a person could purchase a remote Pacific Island with it and live happily ever after is beyond my comprehension.

There are other things that I’m glad didn’t happen to me like the stuff I heard recently about the last stimulus checks for $1,200. Seems that some folks got theirs in the mail and because the envelope didn’t look interesting enough they threw it away.
    I image that once those people found out what they did I’m sure the word “stupid” came out many times....as well as a few more complex words a gentleman shouldn’t say especially around ladies.
    Imagine...... A million or so dollars in the dump!

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Mentality check this morning.
    It was around 6 this morning and a car stopped in front of the house. The door opened and a young lady got out, saw me sitting on my porch and yelled, “do you have a gas can?”.
    Yes, said I.
    I went and grabbed the gas can and handed it to her. She asked, “can I give you some money for it/“. No, said I, “just bring it back when you’re finished with it” and then I went back to my porch for my first cup of coffee. (I slept late this morning)

A moment or two passed and I watched as she started to push her car. ?? thought I. So, after taking my first sip from my coffee I went out and told her that the gas station is just around the corner and she didn’t need to push her car there.
    She thanked me (for what?) and told me that she had help coming. Huh? I thought.
    I then went back to the porch to my now cold cup of coffee and after taking another sip I went back to her and asked her if she would like me to go get her some gas and she said no, I have help coming and he should be here any minute.
    I went back to my coffee popsicle and sure enough, another car pulled up and he helped her push the car down to the corner where it sat, blocking traffic whilst he, with my gas can in hand, walked around the corner (1/4 block) to get some gas.

Eventually, she did come back in her newly fueled vehicle and dropped my can off in the gutter in front of the driveway and drove off.

Thinking about the events, I thought, why didn’t she just walk around the corner to get gas instead of calling her friend or pushing her car?
    Moreover, why didn’t she just let me go get her gas?
    Dunno but I’m glad that whatever thoughts were going through her, and her friend’s minds weren’t mine. KISS (keep it simple saint..or stupid) wins just about every time.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That's fuel for thought, Bobby! Thanks!

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I was watching a video last night and saw something I’m sure @Trevalius Guyus would have been cringing at. I know I was.

I wish I could have captured the video but in essence it was this guy in Indonesia or somewhere like that who climbed trees with hands and bare feet shorts and a t-shirt with no safety gear in any way. Do note that I have seen children and grownups alike climb palm trees and such in a similar manner but they didn’t have a chain saw with them.

This guy was hopping and climbing limb to limb, cutting them off for an eventual fell. From the view, he had to be at least a hundred or more feet up just doing what seemed pretty natural to him. Every time he dropped the saw that was tied to a rope around his waist and started climbing like a monkey I knew he was going to bite it but nope, he finished the job and went back down the tree.

Ya know, I’ve done a lot of dangerous things but I didn’t pick those things out as a career.
    What could have been didn’t happen and I am personally glad that I wasn’t some kid whose parents gave him a chain saw and said, “there you go boy, take off your sandals and climb that tree”.

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole " Fuel 4 Thought is a unique coconut oil supplement that boosts the brain functioning capacity and general cognitive performance. This supplement blends pure coconut oil and medium-chain triglycerides that increase the production of ketones, which improves the performance of the brain".

"Backed by over 100 scientific studies. F4T is the solution to brain fog and mental clarity. It contains NO caffeine, NO sugar, and absolutely NO crash. Tasty lemon flavored shot.
    Improve concentration · Reduce brain fog · Energize the brain".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Thanks Joe, I will definitely look into it. So, for my first piece of reference, do you like it?

Edit: I might have to back away for a time. Although there are more pro’s than con’s, the $50 marker for 8 shots is a little steep. That said, after I study it a little more I might venture out and try it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

No, Bobby, I have not tried it. I just found it while going back to google "Fuel for thought" which is similar to "Food for thought". I couldn't find product info (including the price). Reminded me of my Dad's old joke about the guy who was taking smart pills.......that "looked like rabbit poop?".....and was told, "See you're getting smarter already"!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmmmm.

13. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm familiar with tree workers who free climb. In some parts of the world, it's a job that stays in families: The father did it, the grandfather did it, the grandson does it. Death rates are fairly low, as knowledge is passed down. Thing is, you only have to trust one wrong branch, and that's it.

As one who has had a branch give way, without warning, I'm very glad I climb on ropes, always. Watching the top of the tree get farther away, as I fell, my back parallel to the ground, seemed right out of a movie. My rope arrested my fall after five feet. It seemed a much longer fall, at the time.

This guy is an idiot, no matter how famous he might be, how high he might climb. The twigs he trusts...... crazy!

Most free climbing deaths I've read about, tree and rock, occur with sport climbers. Those who work trees, professionally, usually know their job very well. Even so, my profession usually comes in as the second or third most deadly. However, deaths from falls are only one of the major causes of death. Struck-bys and electrocutions are also major causes of death.

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.