Beef Grading Systems - United States

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The US Department of Agriculture regulates the terms that are used to describe beef in the United States.
    • USDA Prime is the superior grade of meat, with a high level of tenderness, juiciness, flavor, and fine texture. Prime has the highest degree of fat marbling and is derived from younger beef. Prime is generally featured in high-end restaurants and meat markets. Until recently, it was rarely available in supermarkets and still may not be available in all supermarkets.
    • USDA Choice is the second-highest grade of beef. It has less fat marbling than Prime. Choice is a good quality steak, particularly when derived from the loin and rib areas of the beef, such as a tenderloin filet or rib steak. Generally, Choice will be less tender, juicy, and flavorful than Prime, and may have a slightly coarser texture.
    • USDA Select is the lowest grade of beef. It will be tougher, less juicy, and less flavorful, since it is leaner than Prime and Choice, and will have very little marbling. The texture of Select is more coarse.
    • USDA Commercial is tougher beef, as it comes from older cattle. It is mostly used in low-cost frozen dinners and canned meat products. It is not available in retail.
    Supermarkets might engage in deceptive marketing practices without violating the USDA stipulations. They might offer Select beef under other names, such as "top premium beef," "prime quality cut," "select choice," "market choice," or "premium cut," although the actual grade will also be on the package. "Prime quality cut" is legal because it's talking about the cut rather than the grade of beef, but someone seeing "prime" on the label might assume that it's a Prime grade.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It is very difficult to find Prime Beef here, as most people went away from the high fat content during the anti-fat days of the 1970s through 2010. Much of the Japanese beef is prime or better, and is very expensive stuff if you can find it.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm okay with Choice because I generally cut off any fat anyhow, and tend to avoid cuts that have too much of it. But then, I also eat my steak well done, so I obviously don't have a clue when it comes to steak.

Don Alaska likes this.