Best Sentence Ever?

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Dwight Ward, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m not sure if it’s criticism or the recognition of two different styles of writing.

3. Dwight Ward

Registered

I suppose..But Twain didn't much recognize anyone's style but his own.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, kinda...maybe. Sam Clements spent a lot of time setting type, editing, rolling ink and publishing so maybe he had some insight as to the amount of work it takes to print someone’s 200 word sentence.
    Dunno. I just envision myself trying to retype that sentence and OMG I’m doubly sure that I would automatically be tempted to place periods where there are commas and paragraphs where a sentence ends and a new thought starts and get sued.

I mean, about 4 years ago and on this very forum, I was asked to shorten my sentences and reduce the number of $4.50 words and I do not consider anyone here even close to being illiterate.
    Note: I wrote $4.50 because folks here get the senior’s discount from the normal $10.00 price.

5. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole
    I wonder why the mere length of a sentence would make it good style or is there more to it? In other languages long sentences aren't considered good style.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It might be a sort of “poetic license” or something along the line of breaking the rules. Call it something akin to a social protest toward status quo writing or whatever but say what we will, it does draw extra attention to the authors.

On the positive side, if anything else the long sentence is thought provoking but on the negative side, it is very hard to read in that there aren’t enough rest periods in order to consider what has been previously written.

Lois Winters and Thomas Stearn like this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Uh, so what exactly was he trying to say?:confused: I got lost between 'watches in pockets' and 'locomotive intoxication'.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh dang. I thought this thread was going to be about OUR "best sentence ever." I was thinking "Supper's ready" or "You won the lottery" are contenders. :D:D

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"Bad dog!"

You don't know if you're admonishing a pet or reviewing a restaurant.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I once tried to read a Henry James book to broaden my literary knowledge. Gotta keep up appearances, you know? The first page had two sentences. The first sentence had (if I remember correctly) thirty two segments. It took up over half the page. I put it down. If there is one thing I can't stand, it's run on sentences. I'll just have to remain in my happy literary ignorance.

12. Dwight Ward

Registered

"OUR "best sentence ever."
    LOL. Gosh, Beth, even I'm not that self centered.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Dwight Ward

Registered

I could never read Henry James myself. I think it's not 'long' sentences - it's BAD long sentences.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  14. Dwight Ward

Registered

Reread.the thing. It hangs together in an excellent way. Periods are not the only way to divide streams of meaning - commas do that too. Admittedly, it's dauntingly long, but the incomprehensibility ( for most ) comes from the references to things we never studied but Holmes did. That's not his fault but ours for not having a broader education. I remember that my father, coming from a very small, poor Virginia town and graduating in 1919, was well-versed in Latin from only a high school education.What did I get? Useless French which I forgot immediately.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  15. Dwight Ward

Registered

The 'watches in pockets' reference was about things happening without effort as the watch wound itself. like the 'locomotive intoxication' that put him into a restful state without effort in the absence of outside distraction like his chatty friend. - "some dear detestable friend, cordial, intelligent, social, radiant," Notice the 'detestable'.prefacing .the otherwise positive description. That expressed Holme's very mixed emotions about his friend. Today we' don't quite understand such sarcastic irony..

Von Jones and Beth Gallagher like this.