Best Way To Back Up A Laptop?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by James Hintze, Oct 29, 2020.

1. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Since I do most of my reading and all of my writing, as well as readings from different parts of the world, there's lots of stuff that I'd like to move to my next computer. The one I'm using now has been with me longer than its ancestors since I haven't spilled coffee on it yet. I still think it's nearing its end.
    How best to back up bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Is the OS Windows, James? Which browser do you use? My Firefox browser creates a user account with a password and automatically saves my bookmarks and website passwords. If I get a new machine and open Firefox, it prompts me for my user account and password, then all my customization shows up.

You can easily back up data files (photos, documents, etc.) on Windows to a thumb drive or other storage device if you aren't using a Microsoft cloud account.

Terry Coywin and Von Jones like this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

You say you like to write. You can write to the cloud with Google Docs. There is Google Sheets too, a spreadsheet. It's free.

4. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am sorry. I just have to do it.
    You put in the clutch, shove the stick all the way over to the right and down, give it some gas as you let out the clutch.
    (that is if your laptop is in a Toyota ;

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just before I read your comment I was thinking, well, ya back that thing up as far as you can, preferably against the wall before you shoot it.
    Bottom line, it is indeed a good thing that I wasn’t the only one who found some humor with the subject.

6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Buy an external hard drive and copy all you want to save to that drive. on some browsers you can export your bookmarks and you also can look up all your passwords and write them down. I have done this many times.

7. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Much better idea!

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Except you gotta have a way to save the new stuff, and to save the old stuff as it gets modified. That's why they make special programs...a one-time copy is easy, it's the maintenance that'll kill you.

ps: If his laptop is a VW bug, shove the stick all the way over, to the right, push down, then pull back.