Beware Of Falling Coconut!

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Joe Riley, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds good. Maybe you could fasten them to the wall beside the window, instead of the ceiling, and offset them a little? It might be stronger.

Don't pay any attention to me. It took me a year to remodel a little closet. :eek::rolleyes:

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

...I was going to mention that.;)

Since the section of plastic drain is 10 ft, and the ceiling is 8' 4"", I plan to saw the upper end down 2 ft and bend them over, and use the ends to attach the leaves. I also thought of fishing line to support the top. Not sure how the numbers run for strength.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

When our fence got taken out by a drunk driver, he also demolished two full yard waste containers. The green lids survived, and I cut one up into the shape of 6 leaves, and attached them to one of the old contour hubcaps.

004.JPG 005.JPG

The other two trees will have paper leaves.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, today I spray painted the hubcap on my sculpted palm tree (unattached) I took the container, trunk, inner supports down to the garage and dry fitted them together. I had a 10' piece of 1/4' plywood, 3 1/2 inches wide in the rafters, that fits nicely inside the 4" drain pipe. The post on the base, along with the plywood and 2 pool noodles, supported the trunk nicely. When I attach the sculpted, I will have to shorten the top of the trunk, cutting flaps at the top, to attach to the hubcap. I will need some restraint, using wire. When I add the cement to the base, I may not need any, other to make sure it can't fall over.

I made a trip to Michael's craft center to buy Green poster boards for the leaves on the other two trees, along with a roll of brown wrapping paper for the sand, white colored paper to top off the sky, blue water paper & bubble wrap for the surf.
    IMG_3844.JPG
    I made two corner cutouts of palm leaves outside the window, from the green poster boards.
    IMG_3840.JPG
    Then I unwrapped the dozen coconut cups from the dollar store, taping a piece of string on the inside of the top, using the straw hole. I then super glued the to halves together. These will be tied to the center of the leaves.
    IMG_3832.JPG
    I liked the idea of an orange Moon/Sun, and found a glitter poster board, that I cut into a circle. It is a uniformed golden glitter, but acts weird, when photographed with a flash.
    IMG_3834.JPG
    Enough for now.... good start.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Harry Nilsson - Coconut (1972)

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

THE COCONUT TREE
    SREENIDHI IS STUDYING FIRST CLASS IN CHEGU VIDYALAYAM SHE HAS A POEM ON COCONUT TREE

7. Nancy Hart

Registered

Nice Moon/Sun. The palm leaves look great. It's all coming together. :) Good luck!

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart
    Well, it is "Crunch" time on the Island! Last week, our daughter and family were visiting from CO, and it was a busy week. Vacation Bible School begins on the 15th, and I spent the last few days decorating the three windows.:cool:

I have scaled back the Coconut Palm tree part of the project, to two 7 foot trees. I plan to paint the trunks today, and assemble them tomorrow on site. I will include some pictures, but they have not been a priority up to now.;)

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Here are pictures of the finished windows, with flash and without. There is 6 ft of wall between the windows.
    002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 014.JPG 013.JPG 012.JPG

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Many others have been decorating elsewhere, and I liked these clever ideas.

005.JPG
    Life preservers made from red pool noodles.

006.JPG
    Small palm trees made from umbrellas.

009.JPG
    Anchor "chain" from sliced, black pool noodles.

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      192.8 KB
      Views:
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

Those windows look great. Good job Joe!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

This is the picture that I used to scale down to fit the three windows. BeachEmpty_Med.jpg

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Well the two coconut palm trees are up! I decided that they were too much, between the windows, so moved them to the wall to the left of the windows. The two look better, by themselves.

004.JPG 003.JPG

There is a 7 foot 2x2 that runs inside the trunk, and pool noodles are beside it.
    I cut the front of the trunk, above the wood off, leaving the back half (16") to support the tree top.
    I screwed the tree leaf to the hubcap and 2x2 from the front. I cut a groove with a hacksaw across the top of the 2x2, and hung the hubcap on the top of the 2x2.
    There is a ring around the back of the hubcap, which I hammered into the groove and hammered heavy U-staples down over the wire.

010.JPG 008.JPG

I also filled the container with large pebble rocks, for weight. This made the tree stable and I didn't have to wire it up.

Rather than paint the trunk, I used a roll of 6" wide brown masking paper, to spiral around the length of the trunk and then wrapped clear 2" packing tape around the trunk in a spiral pattern. Much simpler. I tied on 3 coconuts to each tree and they were finished.
    001.JPG

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered