Bi-polar Or Split Personality?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ina I. Wonder, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been dealing with someone recently and I am wondering if they are bi-polar, or even if they could have a split personality. I don't know that much about these issues.

This person seems to swing back and forth. One day they are ecstatically happy, and the next you'd think all the demons in .... were chasing them. Some times they act like a totally different person than the one you have known.

How do you help such a person? This person gets very angry if you even suggest that they might have a problem.

Most of us can run from such individuals, but there are many families that must deal with this issue, because someone has to.

Of course I realize that these conditions can be gotten under control with drugs or counseling, but how do you get that person to accept any kind of help in the first place?

Do you think either of these conditions can be controlled. If so, how?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Only a dr can diagnose bipolar, then they will be put on meds. Keeps the manic episodes and them on an even keel.

When manic they will barely sleep, usually go on drinking binges, etc...at least ones Ive read about.

Ive come across lots of people that I think need help but if they're not willing to go see a dr or take their meds there really isn't anything you can do unless they physically try to harm you or themselves.

It's also very hard for you to persuade them to take meds because they like the manic state...up all night, cleaning etc. it's when they crash that they become depressed.

I read a good memoir about someone bipolar. If you want I can see what it's called.

She was a wreck...drank, did drugs, started a hundred different projects at once, didn't eat. Kind of like being on speed.

Then her down mood came and she just slept all day and night. Didn't care about getting dressed, going out....

I'll look for the name of the book.

This might be it...I read it awhile ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Manic-Memoir-Terri-Cheney-ebook/dp/B00134XERS

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

In the past before there were drugs or counseling, these people must have had a very difficult life. I can remember my parents talking about someone that had to have electrical shock treatment for a mental condition.

Now looking back on history, I wonder how many people were called insane, or even farther back, they might have been labeled as witches.

I remember reading of mentally ill people being chained up in asylums for the public to view as curiosities. Then too I've read about families locking away their mentally ill family members, and acting as if those relatives never even existed.

So with all these stigmas hounding such a person, how does one convince such an individual to seek help on their own?

4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Ina,

It's a hard one, but I know one important thing is, we can't help or fix anyone unless they are willing to seek help themselves. I know it's hard if they don't see the problem within themselves. The first step in almost any type of recovery, or seeking help, is admitting they have a problem.

Sometimes it is better to step back and separate yourself "if" it is upsetting to you. Denise

5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Personality disorders are very difficult to deal with for the people around them. I think most believe of coarse that there is nothing wrong with them and treatment can be impossible.

A therapist I went to told me, based on what I told her, that she believed my mother was a borderline personality. I think she may have been right and it explains a lot of my own problems.

So I know from experience how hard these people can be.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder "How do you help such a person?"

Take it with a grain of salt, OK? But, my Grandpa, my Dad's dad, had an on going thesis related to nebulous personal discrepancies. He believed that many of the everyday stress-induced problems and phobias are actually non-existent. But, the individual suffering from such delusions needed a serious de-railing of their prevailing concerns: this was accomplished by use of this:

[​IMG]

He often said, "A carpet beater over the back solves many perceived illnesses, pains, and ingratitudes."

Ina I. Wonder and Denise Evans like this.
  7. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

I would very much let the experts deal with this one.

I have a friend who is bi polar and her moods are so extreme. Unfortunately at some time in your friendship you are on the receiving end of a temper tantrum. It can't be helped that is part of the illness.

You are q good friend if you can last the course. I have. I just do not contact on bad days until the mood has passed.

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It's ironic that this topic come up because my neighbor of eight years outright accused me of something she 'believes' to be true and it isn't. It didn't just happen though. I had noticed a change in her personality around Spring of this year. Some days she would be friendly and then 'Bam!' she would lash out at me. She also was very paranoid. Everyone walking pass or a car driving pass was a suspect of ill doing. I was asked by other neighbors if she was okay. That was a relief that I wasn't the only one that noticed the change in her personality.

It was hurtful but we don't talk anymore like years before.

9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Honey Gee - sensible way of handling the situation

10. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

I think being a retired nursing sister helps @Patsy Faye. I am more empathetic to folks issue. People forget that depression and mental illness at that an illness it can't be helped. People need the be more understanding but unfortunately they are not. It's life x

Denise Evans likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Honey Gee, I get depressed but it's mostly situational. I just seem to have less energy and since I'm not a very energetic person it's depressing...maybe that's why antidepressants never work for me. It's not my brain chemistry being off so serotonin and dopamine aren't the factors...which most meds try to address.

12. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross I think it's very beneficial even to do a small amount of exercise. You often feel lethargic due to being less energetic if that makes sense. Your energy levels will decrease if you are not active. Try and walk as part of your your daily routine or swim. Yoga is good too x

That's not a critiscm Chrissy you must do what you feel is right for you x

13. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hard for the laymen to be 'totally' understanding. I say totally, because when support and loyalty is given and thrown back in yer face
    it's hurtful to say the least.
    Its like an alcoholic - you do your best by them and of course it's never good enough
    But I consider myself a fair person and give things a lot of thought, so I will take on board what you say and try to be more relaxed
    about it whilst still considering my own feelings as well as others

Denise Evans and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I do walk but not as much as I used to. I also belong to a gym and they're building one closer to my house which will motivate me more.

15. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know if it's ev
    LOL! This reminds me of posts from an old friend that used to like to lighten things up on occasion. Yes, this "wacker" might do the trick;)

Yvonne Smith and Ina I. Wonder like this.