Bill Long

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, May 7, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

About 1974 or 5, living in Vegas, attending UNLV 4 or 5 courses, not employed, my wife was, of course, I dabbled a lot with cars. Built up an old '55 Ford pickup which successfully brought back all those beautiful colored sandstone rocks I faced our house with.

One afternoon, a guy came to the house in response to something automotive I had advertised, younger than I a few years, BIG guy, perhaps 6'-4", powerfully built, extremely knowledgeable in automotive, machinery, building trades. Bill Long could do expert welding, fabrication, machine work. He was employed by Von Tobel's Lumber downtown, but did auto repair work on the side in a shop of his own which he rented.

I offered him a cold beer; he turned it down, told a little story. Some years before, drinking in some bar, an argument ensued, though he was in the "right", he decked some jerk, putting him in the hospital. He saw then that under the influence, he might easily kill someone. He never drank again. He had had trouble with a lady friend he was deeply committed to, and thus had given up on not being alone.

He was born & raised in Reno, where his Mother still lived. He seemed dedicated to her, called often, drove those hundreds of miles to Reno often. He positively hated the heat of Vegas, having grown up where it is cool year-round. I asked him once, Bill, why do you stay in Vegas? "Frank, I've learned this town's filled with helpless A.H.s and they provide me with a good living keeping their expensive cars running!"

Separated, then divorced, Degreed at last, I took a job in Colorado, lost track of Bill, but did see him once in 1979, when my new fiancé and I were in Vegas to be married. I found him at his shop, we three talked several hours, my wife duly impressed by this seemingly gentle giant. For some reason, I think of him often. I guess he was one of very few over my lifetime who have left such a lasting positive impression.
    Frank

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.