Bing Is Better Than Google & Other Search Tools, In My Humble Opinion

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

---I have been testing and what Ken has said is correct.Bing does not pull up a lot of unwanted junk when you do a search.

Ken N Louis likes this.
  2. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

Been using Bing for years..

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As a corporation, I don't know that I like Microsoft any better than I do Google but, as search engines, Bing just gives me more relevant results.

Ken N Louis likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

I do searches for a living, pretty much every day of the week, and I get better results from Bing than I do from Google. While I like the idea of privacy search engines, I get better (more useful) results from Bing than I do from Startpage or DuckDuckGo.

That said, last. year the most popular search term on Bing was "Google." I would guess these are people who haven't figured out how to change Edge's default search engine from Bing to Google.

5. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I use DuckDuckGo because of the privacy. I use the others too, but not as often.

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I mostly use Google. I don't care if "they" are tracking me while I look up trivial crapola. :D I do notice skewed results on political inquiries, however.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm the same way, but will go to Bing when I don't find what I want on DuckDuckGo.

8. Ken Anderson

I like the idea of a privacy search engine, and I thought they'd be useful in that they wouldn't keep prioritizing local links when I'm searching for stuff that has nothing to do with where I live, but I've tried all of the privacy search engines and don't like the results from any of them. Bing does the best, although it does throw in some local stuff.

For example, in my job, I might be searching for sites to fill a restaurant category for a town in Texas, yet both Google and Bing will return results for restaurants in Millinocket regardless of the search words that I use. I already know where things are here so I don't need a search engine to tell me. Bing gives me the most useful results, although search engines were better before they got fancy.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm sure you've seen the list of results can be somewhat short on a privacy search engine. I have no idea why. It's as though they have a lot fewer web crawlers.

I don't know if search engines used to be better, or if the amount of crap they have to sift through has grown exponentially. I guess both factors are at play.

10. Ken Anderson

The focus now seems to be on what they want us to find rather than helping us find what we are looking for, and that has to do with politics as well as paying for positions. Bing isn't great, but it gives me better results than Google does.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    Krystal Shay and John Brunner like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My oldest daughter is in a healthcare profession. While I was staying with her, I tried looking for something healthcare related and she said the search engines I use won't give the in depth info that I want. So she went through her office computer. Not sure how that worked as it was years ago.

12. Ken Anderson

Probably, her healthcare employer was a member of a specialized health information database that we'd have to pay to access.

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.
  13. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I use Bing exclusively. I get some kind of points that I can trade for gifts or gift cards. I usually get $5 Walmart gift cards. I'm searching anyway so I 'bout as well get paid for it. Bing also looks for coupons for items that I buy.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Same here, although I go for the Amazon gift cards.

15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm using the Edge browser. It seems bound and determined to set my default search engine to Bing. I had to change it back again today. To Google. I think my stubborn streak is kicking in. I don't know what is causing this but it's making me not like Bing for no good reason.

And Edge likes to make it difficult to figure out how to change it back. I have to look up how to do it every time.

Beth Gallagher likes this.