Biting Dog

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Betty Jones, May 20, 2018.

1. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

my neighbor has a 3 month old puppy that continues to bite---he has all kinds of bones and chew toys but you go to pet him he will bite--what can she do to stop this?

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Betty Jones ...your neighbor shud keep dog away from vistors until he is older or taught not to bite.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

People whose animals bite others...is big problem. Just ask Mark Harmon of NCIS.
    His dog bit a crew memeber and had 15 stitches. Yet Harmon continued to bring dog to work.Paulie P who plays Abbey was vety upset that he continued to bring dog to work. Other cast members were scared of dog but feared approch to Harmon about it. Anyway..in part this is why Paulie aka left NCIS.
    Very disppointing behavior Gibbs:(

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

At just 3 months old, it sounds like puppy behavior that has not been disciplined, @Betty Jones .
    If your neighbor starts to discipline the puppy, he will not like the results of his biting, and he will probably stop doing it right away if they are consistent.
    You didn’t say how large a dog this puppy is going to be, but what I have always done with good results is to pinch their nose whenever the puppy tries to bite my hand.
    This is similar to the mother dog disciplining the puppy by biting him, and since the nose is a tender spot, he will start thinking about that before reaching out to bite someone.
    He probably thinks that he is playing, since puppies that age like to grab everything that comes anywhere close to their mouth, and he just has to learn the rules of what he can play with and what he can’t.

Unless he is being physically abused (by kids or adults), he is not likely to be aggressively biting at that young of an age.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Puppies nip each other while playing. What I have done is say loudly , "Annnnhhhhhhtttt! No bite!" Then ignore the pup for a minute or two. They will soon learn that you don't like it and stop.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.