Blood Pressure Medication

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Marie Mallery, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

What BP med has the least side effects? I take Adolophine and it makes me dizzy and gives me a dry cough. I only take it when bp is up, but this one will expire tomorrow, 3-1-24,
    Wonder if I should ask for a different kind?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the side effects are different for everyone, Marie. I have taken Lisinopril for many years with no issues, but a lot of people have that dry cough or get dizzy with it. I can't take a diuretic due to my lymphedema and gout, though that's what I'd prefer to take if I could. My doctor tried to give me a diuretic last week at my annual visit and I had to remind her that I can't take it. :rolleyes:

I am also weaning myself off of Metoprolol (beta blocker). I'm not sure whether it contributes to muscle cramping but I have read that it can, so buh-bye. I have reduced my dose down to 25 mg (from 100) and no noticeable change in my BP. :mad: I really hate taking Rx that I don't need.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

I take Amlodopine. A whole one causes head-aches, so I split it into two doses...one in the morning, one in the evening. It acts as a diuretic, so be careful what time of day you take it!

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I take Amlodopine and so does hubbs. We take our BP meds everyday around the same time. Consistency is necessary in the meds people take. Side effects abound from them all. It is no win situation to me, in order to stay well and alive.

Beth Gallagher and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I take Lisinopril and Furosemide (diuretic). I've had no side effects like cough, headache, or dizziness... or any that I have noticed. I've been taking these several years now and my blood pressure is well controlled.

So I'd probably have to lean toward individual differences in side effects. Perhaps it depends on he underlying reasons for high blood pressure, what else you have going on, what else you might be taking, diet and activity level, minerals (Zinc, Magnesium, et al.), or some combination.

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm taking Losartan and Doxazosin for blood pressure. The doctors like to drive it as low as possible it seems, but when mine is around 120 and lower, I get light headed. I think that is why some older people fall in the shower etc. because of too low blood pressure. I have a BP monitor and if mine is around 150, I'm OK.

I once was prescribed Bisoprolol, a beta blocker. It went beyond low blood pressure and even slowed down my heart rate. I could barely move it was so bad. I told the doctor it was poison and he changed it.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Beth I only take half a dose 2 1/2 mg of the med but still get side effects. 5mg of amolopine. Jake takes 10mg of same. It also brings my diagnostic down real low into the 60s at times.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thanks for the info Celia, I also cut mine in half but didn't realize it acted as diuretic too.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Marie, you said you only take the medicine when your BP is high. I believe most BP medicines are prescribed to be taken daily, so maybe if you take it every day you will become accustomed to it. If you can't deal with the side effects, talk to your doctor and see what alternatives he suggests.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

True Hedi, sure beats another stroke that cost my part of my eyesight. Next one could be much worse. Only thing is it does make my Dianostic go down real low at times. Mainly my Systolic is what's high.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

I exercise alot and lift small weights 45lb.s to keep diabetes down. I have lost too much weight though never have taken insulin but this exercise to bring sugar down is no fun.
    They put a couple stents in a perfectly good heart in Jan.2020. Sometimes when people molest your body for money, you really wish the wild west days were still here.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Beth this is true too, but it brings down my systolic pretty low so I don't know what that does but guess I can go to search or YT to see why.
    So far only thing I take regularly is aspirin and bp med when needed but if it goes up again this week I will go on regular schedule.
    I walk and workout for glucose control for past 15 years or more. I've never taken insulin, but I will if I have to. If I live long enough to get to where I can't work out then I'll surely have to take insulin. I also dance alot, if you can call it dance:p.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Marie--I hear ya on the exercise for glucose control. Have you considered a lower carb diet? Sometimes eliminating a few "white" foods (flour, sugar, rice, potatoes) can help significantly in reducing glucose spikes. I am pre-diabetic and trying to change my diet but it's hard. (I love carbs!)

I'd recommend a talk with the doctor about the BP medication. Most of us know little about what an individual should take because there are many variables. With me, it's other conditions that must be taken into account.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yes Beth I did thast the very first day they diagnosed me and gave me metfoemin that really hurt my stomach. I got online and found out no carb or low carb diet. If I want a piece of cake or candy, it cost me a workout. I do eat a lot of ice crem. Fat kind of counters the sugar.
    I lost 30lb.s first couple months, but as I age, I'm getting too skinny, well I got too skinny. But I feel ok. I eat some chicken, lots of bean wraps, onions. Lots of avocados lately to gain weight.

I will eat brown rice with lots of veggies,like bell peppers, onions, squash, whatever is in season.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is not a medication, or a suggestion to replace medication; but today I was reading my Dr. Greger health email, and it was about the benefit of ground flaxseeds for high blood pressure, as well as fighting inflammation.
    I use ground flax seeds all of the time, especially when I am making Mr. Bobby his Fiber Cake, to keep him healthy (and happy). I always add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of ground flax meal to the fiber cake recipe, but you can also add it to muffins, meat loaf, bread, or just about any baked foods.

Whole flax seeds will mostly just pass right through the digestive system, and it is best to get flax seeds and grind them before you use them, so the oil is fresh. However, I now get the ground flax meal from Bob’s Red Mill (on Amazon), and keep it stored in the refrigerator, and it works fine that way, too.

Here is the article about flax benefits.
    https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/fighting-inflammation-with-flaxseeds/?