Blue Angels

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ina I. Wonder, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I like to watch the Saturday morning news, and this morning they were showcasing the Blue Angels. They announced that we now have a young woman joining the Blue Angels flight team. This young woman must have dreamed of joining the team for many years.

This got me to thinking about how much the gender roles have changed, and I wonder in what fields our young men have been making changes in? What have you informative people heard concerning this subject?

2. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it's great that the gender roles have shifted, with girls taking on many professions even masculine ones. One of my best friends has a daughter who is a mechanic.

This gender equality also means that young men are taking on more stereo-typically feminine jobs, like becoming nurses. I think that's great too. :)

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree the stereo-typically feminine jobs have become more available to men which is a good thing. Have you noticed that most of the teachers are women. Men have left the field mostly due to pay, not because they see teaching as a womans job. I like that my grand children will be able to get whatever type of job they want regardless of their gender.

4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I think that today's young men have a very gentle hand with their children. When I was a kid, most men were mainly just disciplinary figures, and the bread winners.

Now I have a 31 year old granddaughter that works just as hard as her husband, and generally many more hours than him. She works steadly, and since his job is construction, he has long periods of off time.

After about the first couple of years of marriage, she explained to her husband that if she was going to be working so many hours, then he needed to get up off the couch, and start cleaning and cooking.

Of course he complained that his father was the head of the household, and that was how he thought it should be. My granddaughter told him to get over it, that the times are a changing.