Blue Laws

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Sheldon Scott, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Jan. 25, 1841 — The city council passes a Sunday law, ordering nothing can be sold on Sundays within the city without a $5 fine.

I remember these laws. When I was young even grocery and drug stores had to close on Sundays. Later the laws were revised so that certain food and drug item could be sold. I remember when the supermarkets had certain aisles and/or shelves blocked off on Sundays.

2. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

Many of the antiquated laws make more sense than some of the laws passed today. And, I don't necessarily agree with the "Big Government... Small Brains" title. The "illegal to spit on the sidewalk" laws were passed to curb the spread of infectious disease. Epidemics could... and did... wipe out entire communities.
    Other laws have been passed simply so to placate the ego of small-town elected officials. "No more than three sips of beer while standing." "Against the law to sing the alphabet in public after dark." One would really like to know the rest of the story that saw those type of laws even come before an elected body.

Over the years, our society seemed to become more "common sense" in local laws passed and regulations enacted... until just this past few years. We've been embarrassed so much by our State government here in Kansas, under the current governor. This past week, we've made headlines again with a State Legislator ruling that no female could appear/testify before his committee with an "inappropriate" neckline or skirt length. When asked what defined "inappropriate", he said that would be his call, depending on the female's dress. He was also asked why his new rule did not include any restrictions for men. His replay to that was, "Men know how to dress."

4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I remember the Sunday trading laws in the UK, my father ran a corner shop and was fined for selling a bag of sugar. Inspectors went around checking. You could only sell perishable goods, so fresh pears were OK but not tinned ones.
    We still have a restriction on Sunday trading in large shops, they can only open for 6 hours during the day.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember the meat section in supermarkets closing early and on Sunday, that has changed now.

6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

The Sunday licensing laws in England used to be positively draconian, with pubs opening only between 12 and 2, so if you had a bit of a hangover from Saturday night, it was hard work.

Why do you think I moved to Scotland? ;)

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here , in the American South, we still have these kinds of laws, and they are enforced. Many cities, or counties, do not allow the sale of an alcohol from midnight on Saturday night, until Monday.
    When we lived in Florence, this was the law, and the only place that you could buy alcohol was if you went into a restaurant that served it along with a meal.
    All of the taverns were closed, and even some of the convenience stores, who depended on alcohol sales for a good part of their revenue.
    The whole idea didn't make much sense to me. People who wanted to drink could (and did) load up their vehicle on Friday or Saturday, and they bought enough for the whole weekend.
    Other people would drive to an area that didn't have the blue law, and then they probably drove back home again after they had been drinking........not a good plan at all !
    Businesses in the area suffered from the inability to do business on weekends, so the city would have actually received more in taxes if they had let the sports bars be open on Sundays.

Another thing we can't have here (anywhere in the state) is any kind of lottery tickets. Even though the money could be used to help the state, and people are traveling to neighboring states to buy the tickets, they always vote it down here in Alabama.
    I guess the reason is because this is the "Bible Belt", and the politicians do not want to upset voters who might be against the lottery.
    However, I am pretty sure that if someone from here did buy a winning ticket, the church would be right there asking him/her to tithe and donate part of the winnings to the church.

Sometimes, the laws we make seem to do more harm than good; but they just never change them.

Sheldon Scott and Bill Boggs like this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Same here, Yvonne. nearly half the counties around here are dry including the one I live in. No alcohol sales allowed in the county. I have to drive to the next county to buy wine. Sunday alcohol sales in the rest of the sate are not generally allowed, but the county where the wineries are located does allow Sunday sales.

Yvonne Smith likes this.