Bottled Water Recall

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Hannah Davis, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Not exactly the time of year we want to be hearing something like this. Apparently one of the leading manufacturers of bottle water Niagara has had to remove many brands of their bottled water including Arcadia, Acme and the 7-11 brand due to ecoli contamination.

As I said before not exactly the perfect time of year for something like this to happen. Here we are in the heat of summer, where many good samaritans stand on the corner handing out free bottles of water to individuals. A few weeks ago I even accepted one of these bottles. Now the sad thing is I might think twice about it, even if its not one of the brands from Niagara because of what happened here.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/23/bottled-water-recall--you-need--know/29153815/

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, we had some water from one of those batches. My wife had already drank four bottles from the case, but returned the rest. No problems from the four bottles she drank, by the way.

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I have a well water system, I just use a pitcher and faucet filters. I don't like the taste of the chemicals that are part of city and town water services. My husband worked for the Houston water department for 20 years, and he was very happy to purchase a home with a well and septic system.

I spent about $20. on some colorful water bottles that I could refill from the faucet filt, and so I don't have to buy bottled water. My grandchildren have been bringing me bottled water for the last few months, I admit that I've been getting lazy, and using the purchased water instead of my own. After reading about this, I think I'll be going back to my old system.

4. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

The frightening thing is perhaps the only form of water that is safe is from those purified water systems that people buy for their homes. The tap water has ever had it problems along the way. Some years back here in the state of Arizona we have an issue with our water supply being contaminated. We were told not to drink it or even bathe in it. The thing is to this day we don't know how long the water was actually contaminated before we were alerted that there was a problem because there were those of us who became ill during this time. My mother being one of them, she was never the same after that and died six months later. Of course I couldn't prove that her death or any of the illneses were connected to this contamination.

5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't purchase bottled water, I use the pitcher filter system.

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We also have a well and we never purchase bottled water, but this makes me wonder what else may be contaminated. Fruit juices, soda pop, sports drinks all have added water. Our entire food supply is suspect. One never knows what might be in the next thing we eat or drink.

7. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

How can they not be more careful? I am not familiar with American soft drink brands, but I am pretty sure that bottled water is a great percentage of their products. How can they not check whether their products are safe for the people or not? It's so stupid!

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I never thought much about water while I was growing up in the UP of Michigan. We had a well but, since that was all that I knew, I just figured that was what water was like. Then I moved to Southern California, where I found that I couldn't even see through a glass of tap water, let along want to drink the stuff. I wouldn't even us that water for coffee and wasn't sure if it was a good idea to bathe in it. Before bottled water was prevalent, most people had a contract with a water company that would provide a water cooler and deliver one of those large bottles of water once a week. It was only fifteen dollars a week, so that's what I did. I moved to Texas, and found that the tap water was better than California but still not at all like what we had from our well in Michigan. I could use the water for coffee though. Here in Maine, our tap water is at least clear, but it doesn't taste very good so I use bottled water yet.