Bought 2 Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe that "Supreme Purchase" (Best Buy) would be the place to visit, and to consult with salespersons who work in the Cellular Telephone department.

Thank you,
    Howl

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just checked and Best Buy has the phone for $149 also, and they can help you set it up; so that is a great idea, @Hal Pollner . You can even use some of your gift cards to buy the phone !
    Let us know how you like it once you have one ?

3. Hal Pollner

Registered

I'm hesitating on the Jitterbug, Yvonne.

Although the manufacturer's ads and videos have nothing but praise for its features, the comments of users on Amazon give it some bad reports, such as: "Don't waste your money", "Poor customer service", "Not what it's cracked up to be", "Preys on the elderly", and many others.

I now have $628 in Best Buy Gift Cards, so I can easily afford something "higher up" even before whipping out my Visa!

It's just that I want the 5-1/2" format for bigger pictures than a flip phone, and a low monthly fee for service, without Internet Access.

Now what's all this about "unlocked"?

Hal

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Registered

I recently went to Best Buy with my Wife and a Gift Card and bought 2 flip-type cell phones to replace the ones that have been in our cars for 12 years or so.

As soon as I learn how to use mine, I'll put it in my car where it will stay, only to be used for highway emergencies. The owner's manual assumes you know how to use a cell phone, because It didn't tell me how to make a call.

The phones were on sale for $19.95 each, but with my Gift Card, the total price was $0.00.

However, I did have to buy a prepaid airtime card for $20 for 90 days of service. Judy transferred the unused time on her airtime card to her new phone.

Hal

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I loved my bag phone, which my wife made me sell. I pretty much only need it when I'm traveling so the bag phone was perfect, and I got better connections on that than I do on my iPhone.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Gee Hal. Don’t they have a 20 mile retractable extension for your land line? :)

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

[​IMG]

"Okay, now back up so I can re-spool it."

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Registered

No Bobby, I haven't seen anything like that!

I now only drive less than 30 miles a week, or less than 1600 miles per year. Sometimes the car stays in the garage all week!

Hal:)

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Looks like WD-1/TT wire. Good stuff so that oughta do it.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

My first purchasing job was with a company that installed access control and security systems in office buildings. We would install a system on every suite, and if the tenant wanted it activated, they would work the cost through Property Management and we would get notified to come activate that suite's system and bill Property Management.

We would do runs of 30 conductor from every floor down to the basement, as well as home-runs of twisted pair/4 conductor/6 conductor from every suite to the phone closet, as well as runs to monitor boiler points, as well as runs to street-level entrances and parking garage gates. Miles upon miles upon miles of copper wire in every building.

You better believe I had every wire manufacturer out there knocking on my door.
    They wanted to be my friend.

Mary Miller and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Registered

We used those wire spools in the Army when we wanted to destroy a Bridge, Tower, or other strategic enemy property. The open wire pair was attached to the explosive, and on the other end of the spool was a battery box with a push button or switch. We unwound the spool to a safe distance from the explosion, and then yelled "fire in the hole", as we hit the switch.

I was in the Signal Corps, so this was handled by the Combat Engineers.
    Hal

John Brunner likes this.