Bought A New Wrist-watch Today!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I bought a new watch about three weeks ago. I went out to get a battery for my old, no name watch. I did then bought one of these cheap watches with ten year battery. Don't think the battery will last ten years but doesn't matter, I'll probably not be around to notice as it will no doubt out last me. If I had gotten an iPhone way back there I would not wear a watch as those you have these smart phones seem to have them in their hand, their pockets or purse all the time, they all tell accurate time and those you have them have no need for wearing a watch. At one time I thought the phone would put the watch industry out of business. On the other hand I have never had a portable phone until recently and it is about as cheap as one can get in phones, so I still wear a watch even at home where a clock is in every room, big wall clocks, brightly lit up electrics. The iPod, two iPads, iMac all have the time at a glance. There's clocks in our cars. I'm retired and knowing the time is not so important as once was, but still, an accurate time piece around the arm seems a good idea and I still wear one. And I will say again. I'm amazed at the accuracy of some of these low priced time pieces.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I totallly agree with you about the Apple Watch, @Vinny Waccio ! I just love mine, too, and don’t know how I ever even managed before I had it. I use mine mostly for the health and fitness applications that the watch has; but I also love doing the “Dick Tracy” thing and having a wrist watch phone.
    I never miss important calls now, and even when I am driving, I can answer with the phone (or not answer if I don’t want to) and I can easily tell whether it is important or not.
    If there was an emergency, I could use Siri and call for help with the watch, which is important, because my phone might not be where I could get to it if i was in a car accident, or even if I just fell somewhere and needed help.
    I think that anybody who actually HAS an Apple Watch probably feels the same way about them as we do.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs , I have an iphone, and I certainly don't carry it in my hand all the time..in fact I only ever have it in my hand if I'm making a call. I just don't understand people using their phones to tell the time instead of wearing a wristwatch.

Carrying a phone renders one hand useless, and even storing it in the pocket means having to haul out out just to see the time...what a Faff.. it's so much easier to just look at my wrist. I've done it for 50 years I'm gonna keep doing it whether I have a smart phone or not :D

Yvonne Smith and Bill Boggs like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

But, Holly, if you had an Apple Watch, you could have it all....... in one device !

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes but yvonne I'm petite, that watch would make me look like I had handcuffs on...plus it's ugly.... :eek::D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Have you tried one on yet, Holly ? They come in two sizes, and Amazon has a lot of pretty bands that you can use instead of the silicone ones that come with them.
    Mine is rose gold, and I just have a nylon Velcro rose gold band because I swim with mine, and even that doesn’t look bad or bulky, but there are some really stylish ones that you can have.
    Truthfully, mine is so helpful for me that I wouldn’t care if it did look ugly, but I think that it looks really stylish and elegant.

Here is one example of a pretty band.
    E4249F37-6C99-4798-A94E-659E051DE64E.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  8. Yvonne Smith

And Holly, here is something else that you can’t do with your little watch......... One of the options with Apple Watch is that you can set the face with your own pictures.
    This option will scroll through 3-4 pictures that you add, so you can have pictures of your grand Furbabies right there on your wrist to enjoy each time that you glance down.
    I usually use the fitness circles face with mine, but here is the one with Chipper, and I also have several other favorite pictures that come up on this face choice.

C6B529F1-91D6-4092-A805-89A42730B00C.jpeg

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Although I don't have one my daughter does and she's very petite and it looks fine on her.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I thought I had put an end to this nonsense of Apple watches.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

No @Yvonne Smith I haven't tried one on. The size of them and those horrible silicon bands turned me off tbh. However I agree that watch with the red bracelet looks nice...

I don't know tho' if I'd be interested in them still tho'... I had a look at what's available in the UK, has to be water resistant for me, for swimming, and showering because I just always forget to take my watch off...and I couldn't be bothered with changing wristbands..one for daily wear, and one for showering or swimming...

I absolutely couldn't see anything for sale in the UK that would interest me enough to spend £300 on it, I'm thinking perhaps in the USA you have better looking choices.. ... I already have several nice watches, my best watch is a Tag Heuer ( although not a smart watch)...

All that said...the next time I go into the apple store, I'll have a proper look at them

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Registered

why, where, when?... o_O

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Registered

what one does she have CC ?

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I couldn't tell you but she has different bands.

I do know she has a silver rimmed one and and a good rimmed one...that's all I know because I asked her why she had two similar ones.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

You would not have to change the band unless you wanted to do that, @Holly Saunders . And since the Apple Watch bands can easily be slipped on and off, it is not like changing the band on a regular watch (with those pesky little pins), even if you did want to change.
    I have a metal band for mine (I actually have 3 bands); but I prefer the little nylon Velcro one, but that is because I swim almost every day and I like the feel of the nylon better. Since you can wear the watch safely for swimming and showering, you could just find a band that you like, and not have to change it.
    As for price, if you shop around, you should be able to find one of the older models or a re-furbished one for a really good price. Unless you get the one with the expensive ceramic case, the prices here range from $200-$300, and often less if refurbished.