Breakfast Goulash

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Baking is for chemists; Cooking is for artists.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

All of my life, I usually ate whatever was leftover from dinner, as my breakfast, and if there wasn’t any leftovers, then I would make a lunchmeat sandwich.
    Only rarely did I have what we term as breakfast foods, either containing eggs or one with some kind of cereal.

The breakfast goulash does sound delicious, but as @Chrissy Cross mentioned, it is a lot of calories, lots of fat, lots of carbs. Plus , there is nothing in the way of a fresh fruit or veggie; so it is definitely not on my menu, or at least only for some special occasion.
    Since I swim and exercise in the mornings most days, I now only eat a small breakfast, because I don’t like swimming on a full tummy.
    I am trying to do better at having fresh fruit; so this morning my breakfast was a whole wheat pita (hot and toasty) with a bit of the flax/chia peanut butter, and a fresh chopped apple on top with apple pie spice.
    Actually, I was full when I had eaten half of it, so I will probably have the rest after I get home from swimming.

7EE05728-2A77-48F9-903D-7EC7A5D786F4.jpeg

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Other than when my mom would give me a half a grapefruit, with powdered sugar, for breakfast, I can't think of a breakfast with fruits and vegetables. The typical American breakfast is fried potatoes, fried eggs, and bacon, and there's none of that there. I'm trying to think of a typical breakfast that includes fruits and vegetables as ingredients rather than options. Oh, I know you can order a bowl of fruit if you want to, and some people might have fruit for breakfast, but typical American breakfasts don't include fruits or vegetables as ingredients. I could add a banana to my breakfast goulash, but that would be weird.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Since my wife no longer eats wheat or rice, we have a hard time going out to eat at restaurants. We have discovered, however, that we can go to IHOP and order breakfast. They will substitute fruit for pancakes or toast. The fruit varies in quality, but is generally very good.

5. Ken Anderson

Yes, the option is there. I could opt to eat a banana or an orange instead of a typical breakfast but then I'd probably still be hungry for breakfast. I like fruit and I eat fruit as a snack throughout the day, so I don't really need to be mixing oranges in with my fried potatoes or scrambling mangoes in with the eggs.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

We ate many of the same things for breakfast that we ate for dinner and often times the food we ate for breakfast was leftover from the previous night's dinner.

Fried corn was always welcome and pretty common at our house during the summer. We cut the kernels off the previous night's corn on the cob and fried them in butter or bacon grease until they were a little bit chewy.

Also, sauce dishes of whatever seasonal fruit was available, slices of oranges, or slices of bananas topped with a sprinkle of sugar and a little cream.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We had both fruit trees and berry bushes at our house when I was growing up. In the summer time, I often had fresh berries with cream (canned milk) on top for my breakfast.
    First came the raspberries, and after that was the blackberries. We didn’t have strawberries, but there were strawberry farms nearby where you could buy fresh strawberries, so we often had those , too, during strawberry season.
    When corn and tomatoes were ripe, mom would buy a gunny-sack full of fresh corn, my grandma would can some of it, and most of it, we ate fresh. A summer dinner might be boiled corn, sliced tomatoes, and maybe peaches or watermelon for dessert.
    In the fall, plums, pears, grapes, and lots of apples were ripe, so those were usually after school snacks, but also sometimes for breakfast.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

If I may be so bold, I will suggest that most of you are missing the point. This is a breakfast dish. If you want to have fruit with it, have at it. Include coffee, tea, or orange juice too if you like, and you might even include yogurt, but if you mix any of that stuff in with it, I can promise that the taste will not be enhanced.

Here are some fruits and vegetables that you can add, and which I do add to my breakfast goulash:
    • onion - root vegetable
    • potato - root vegetable
    • jalapeño pepper - fruit
    • bell pepper - fruit

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I get it.

Didn't mean to spoil your breakfast, enjoy!

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I really need to search this forum more. Have never seen all the recipes on here. Normally the only fruit I would eat at breakfast is blueberries or banana. But last few days i have been eating my fruit salad I made of morning. Cherries, Walnuts, strawberries, Bananas, Mandarin oranges. Not healthy really because I add some brown sugar and top off with a bit of whipped cream. This along with a multi grain muffin, has done good for me this week, in staving off hunger early.

Hoot Crawford and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

All this cooking and frying and slicing and dicing so early in the morning! Just give me a pop tart and 2 cups of coffee and I'm good...

Beth Gallagher likes this.