Breaking News Turkey Has Bombed Syria

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

The Turkish military operation into Syria has been launched today with airstrikes targeting ISIS and Kurdish forces, with reports suggesting two civilians were killed in the attacks.

This afternoon Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced his offensive into northern Syria had begun in a bid to 'bring peace to the area' by targeting 'terrorists'.

The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said Turkish warplanes struck its region in the northeast, sparking 'huge panic among people' today.

Mustafa Bali, Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) spokesman, said on Twitter: 'Turkish warplanes have started to carry out air strikes on civilian areas.'

Pictured and video footage from the ground appeared to show civilians desperately fleeing the area as smoke rose from bombed positions.

Kurds living near the border said civilians were hurt in the attack, according to reports, which said at least two people were killed.

Hours after the airstrikes were launched President Trump tweeted that US troops should 'never have been' in the Middle East.

What's your opinion on this?..from everything I've read the majority are furious at President Trump, blaming him for this atrocity. As Americans, what is your thoughts on this...

Click here for the full story and some graphic pictures..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Turkish-assault-ahead-imminent-invasion.html

Bess Barber and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No matter what Trump does, he gets the blame for everything. I'm not sure how I feel about it; I have often wondered why the USA has to be the "world's police" with our soldiers dying in the never-ending conflict in the middle east.

3. Holly Saunders

Registered

The ''worlds' police?... sorry but the USA are certainly not the UK's police!!

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The term, “world’s police” doesn’t necessarily mean that the U.S. is policing the world although the U.S. does have a major military presence around the globe.
    It’s just a term and one that’s used rather loosely I’m afraid.
    The truth is though, that any time the U.S. gets involved with a conflict in any part of the world with the military that isn’t a declared war, it’s called a police action or...a conflict.
    Note: Vietnam is still called a police action even though the only war where more Americans were killed and wounded was our own Civil War.

Anyway, ergo.....world’s police

5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm with @Beth Gallagher , even though I realize part of it is oil related. Not that the USA can't manage without it, but Europe would dive into an economic crisis of Biblical proportion. Speaking of Biblical proportion, If the end of the book is true, it's not going to end well over there regardless of what we do.
    Other than that, I have no idea why Trump would be in charge of what Turkey does. Syria has some beautiful people, but their country is a mess.

Craig Wilson and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Exactly.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Bess Barber likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders
    Very true, of course, so true in fact that it is not even an issue of concern. I think the idea moved you because the thought is resentful; not to worry. The REAL reason the USA is not the UK's police is that they need not be.
    Frank

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It's sad to think what's happening in that part of the world. But the killing has been going on for thousands of years. The only way we could make peace there would be to completely take over by force. Then enforce a totalitarian government. * Are we willing to spend the money and lives it would take to do that?

*Like Russia did with USSR.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

At the core of this mess is one country not allowing another to exist. It happens in Palestine and is happening in this part of the Middle East. For god sake allow the Kurdish people a homeland.. at the very least autonomy. Let them decide their own fate. NATO has to come down hard on Turkey over this belligerence by its autocratic leader. Sanctions.. freeze arms sales.. Trump says he can hurt Turkey's economy. Do it if one more civilian dies. Whatever it takes to stop this madness.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  10. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin that is not the answer. The answer is leave the Muslim world alone. Everytime the West has interfered there has been disaster following calamity. Muslims have been killing each other for thousands of years. It is either Shia killing Sunni, Alawites killing Kurds or Sunni annihilating any other Islamic sect it dislikes.The bottom line is Muslim Middle East can not live in harmony. So leave them to their fate. They will continue to supply us with fossil fuels to destroy our planet.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Tom Galty and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I imagine that most of you have seen the video, or at least heard about what ABC news did. They took pictures of a machine gun demonstration somewhere in Kentucky, and then posted it on their national news as coverage of the bombing in Syria !
    Here is a quick picture, but more information is all over the internet about this ridiculously FAKE NEWS !

. DE43F1FC-FA52-4A04-A75B-975278985E90.jpeg

12. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

I saw that yesterday, not in the least surprised tbh!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Can we say, "Fake news?"

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is more of the video, and if you look close, you can see the spectators at the gun show watching the shooting and taking pictures with their cell phones.