Bright Produce For Optimal Cell Health

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Mari North, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The last couple of times that I have bought watermelon, they were nearly tasteless, so I don't buy them from the supermarket anymore. I love a good watermelon but I'll wait for them to come to the farmer's market. Avocados are something I can do without. They might be healthy but they taste awful and anything that they are used in tastes awful too. My wife buys them a lot though, and tries to slip them into things that might otherwise taste good.

We bought a large flat of strawberries at a farm a week ago and they were great. The car even smelled good for a couple of days.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson I won't go into what a co-worker from Arkansas told me he & his friends did with watermelons in the field, but will state that I believe the "hype" about highly colored fruits (and vegetables) has been blown out of proportion by the forces behind promoting selling them. IOW, eat a lot of XXX, you will never get cancer. B.S. The sensible approach IMO, is to look at studies' results, believe projected conclusions based on extensive studies, pick which fruits/vegetables you believe to be most beneficial, and do not labor under the mistaken belief your habits have prevented cancer. No one yet knows how to prevent it. They only know a bit about what regulates it's prevalence. Just my thoughts. Frank

3. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll need to revise my answer, @Corie Henson ... I didn't realize you were talking about eating a whole avocado. And since you've mentioned dieting in the past, you'll need to research things like the fat content (high) and calories (high). I eat a quarter of one at a time in salad, on toast, etc. but never a whole one. Many places even call 1/5th of an avocado a serving, but that's too little for me. In eating a whole one, you'd actually be getting 4 or 5 servings, so something to bear in mind.

Chrissy Cross and Corie Henson like this.
  4. Mari North

Registered

I ate my first avocado (surprising but true!) about a year ago, @Ken Anderson ! Before that, and for my entire life, it just wasn't something I wanted to try. :oops: To this day, I've still never eaten an artichoke!

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Artichokes are popular in CA. I like them but a lot of work for little return.

We even have an artichoke festival every year. It's in Castroville where most are grown and I've gone a couple times ...it's nearer my daughter's house than mine.

@Ken Anderson ...don't you even like guacamole?

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Frank Sanoica, of course cancer isn't the only health concern. I don't need a government expert to tell me that what I eat or don't eat may have an effect on my health, and when they tell me that something unnatural is just as good for me as a natural food, I am not inclined to believe them.

No, I don't like the stuff. Guacamole is always left sitting on my plate when I'm through.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Re: Guacamole, Artichoke, Egg-plant, "picalilly", Avocado.

Ugh! As a small kid, my sister put what she called "picalilly" on a burger for me. I almost gagged. Anything like it is evermore Ugh!

Egg-plant, my Mother loved it, tried to get me to eat it, too. Good luck with that!

Of the others, my wife enjoys Avocados, I won't try them, Guacamole, or Artichokes.

Oh, missed one! Ochra! It's slimy and slippery, slick like something eaten by politicians which keeps their image right.

Frank

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I agree @Frank Sanoica , I'm sure there are people who eat all the right things and will still get cancer....my husband wasn't one of them though. He pretty much ate what you're not supposed to for preventing colon cancer but after the initial cancer he kind of followed a higher fiber diet and ate lots of the antioxidant foods and whatever was recommended. His cancer came back 10 years later anyway, that time it killed him.

Maybe he would have died sooner if he didn't eat the right foods....who knows? It's all a crap shoot.

I eat the way I do because I like it and thankfully it corresponds with how I should eat.

After his first cancer diagnose he fell for every fad there was, we spent a fortune on so many different things.

One that really upset me was the Noni juice. We lived in Hungary at the time it cost $75 for about 32 oz. Maybe even less, it was a small bottle. Grrrrrr but what could I say....it was his money.

I have forgotten most of the things but he tried some weird stuff. I think he even had a pyramid under his bed. I may still have it. :)

I can't imagine what was done with the watermelons, Frank. Only thing I've ever heard done was injecting vodka into it.

I like Okra.

9. Mari North

Registered

Has your wife ever spread it (like 1/4 of an avocado) on toast, @Frank Sanoica ? With or without an over-easy egg on top... it's wonderful, and much more healthy than butter.

10. Mari North

Registered

:D I have a feeling the liquid @Frank Sanoica was talking about wasn't alcohol. Or maybe I just have a weird mind. :eek:

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yuck, but you'd have to cut the watermelon or put a hole in it. I assumed it was something with a whole watermelon. :)

This is where my paranoia with food comes in. I check everything I buy and if it even looks like maybe a syringe hole or anything of that nature I don't get it or if I missed it and only saw it at home...I throw it out.

Only took a few news stories of instances of food tampering to make me very careful.

I still remember the Tylenol tampering case. I don't think it's been solved, think they had a good idea
    Who did it but that story still bothers me. I still try not to buy capsules.

12. Mari North

Registered

Maybe Frank will tell us what they did so I can stop wondering now. I wasn't thinking of putting anything into them, just... "watering" them on the outside since he said "in the field." Out with the story, @Frank Sanoica ! :D

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Oh, I was thinking differently. :)

Now he has to tell us, or I won't sleep.

14. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I probably don't eat as much fruit as I should. Much of it isn't very good. I'll buy organic blueberries and strawberries in the summer.

Hate Okra too! I do like green vegetables. I heard a food show on the radio once talking about a "bitter tooth" like a sweet tooth. I'm sure I have it because Brussel Sprouts are my favorite veggie. I love broccoli, cauliflower, spinach. I like the bitter salad greens.

15. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Speaking of Produce, I just had a Sprite Melon,,,which is something I never heard of. It was small and oval and only 99 cents, so I had to try it. I asked the produce guy about it at the store. He said he had not tried it, but it was supposed to taste like honeydew. I ate some when I got home, and the label said, it was supposed to taste like honeydew and pear. I guess it did....but I don't think it was really as good as either honeydew or pear. It was different!