Broken Prom Date Leads To Stabbing

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, May 9, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes they have changed. This is a disturbing story, with a lot of complicated stuff going on!

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Overall, crime rates have declined significantly since Colonial times. That decline has continued through the years, except for a significant rise after 1963. However, since the 1970s, the rates have been declining once again, and are now about what they were in the early 1960s. Throughout history, each generation has believed the succeeding generation to be out of control, but the numbers don't show that. I think that, today, we tend to believe that crime is rampant because we hear about it whenever someone commits a crime anywhere in the country, or world, for that matter. School shootings have been up since the 1990s but this may, in part, be attributed to the fact that there was no national database separating school shootings from other shootings until then, and to the fact that early school shootings were only counted when there were deaths, whereas several recorded school shootings in the past couple of decades involved no deaths, and some did not even result in an injury. In the 1900s, those would not have been recorded. Without attributing cause and effect, I will point out that there were fewer school shootings when it was commonplace for children to bring guns to school, and that several of the earlier school shootings involved teachers shooting students. Generally, I think we believe that crime is higher now because we're more apt to hear about it now, whether or not it occurs within our own neighborhood.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I definitely agree that the world has become a smaller place, with regard to us hearing about such incidents sooner, and feeling more personally affected, since we tend to feel more connected to others living in far off locations. I tend to pay particular attention to crime and other stories in places where I have loved ones, or places I've been to, since I care more about those areas.