Broken Toaster

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Kitty Carmel, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Technically it works but you have to hold the lever down. It won't lock down anymore. It's a Kmart cheapy. I hate to buy a new one as they are all of coarse made in China and I remember this thing smelled so bad when first used. Can only imagine the poison gasses.

I think I'm going to keep it for now. What do you have? An expensive or cheap toaster. I love toast so I guess as long as the heat coils are still working.....

Neville Telen likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Our toaster was inexpensive but does the job we bought it for. We don't use it everyday but we've had it for quite a few years now and have had no problem with it. There's a hatch door on the bottom that opens so we can clean the crumbs out, etc. and I think that has helped keep the toaster in working order. I use ours for Toaster Strudels and waffles besides toasting bread.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have one from Costco...have had it for 14 yrs.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

On the rare occasion when I want to toast something, I use the broiler. We didn't have enough counter space for all of our appliances, and the toaster was the one that was the least used.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I did that for awhile but used my round flat thingy on my stove to toast my bread. Not because I didn't have room for my toaster ...I do but I'm anal and don't like to see too many appliances out.

But I got tired of doing it that way and bought it back in the kitchen but I put a small clear tray under it because it was too messy otherwise. :)

Also, I just looked at what brand my toaster is and it's a Hamilton Beach...stainless steel.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've always bought a cheapie toaster usually chrome or stainless steel, and they've all lasted well. A couple of years ago I decided I'd buy a high end Expensive Toaster in a colour that would match the kettle and other utensils in the kitchen. What a PITA that toaster was , only posted on one side..took forever to toast anything, would only toast the top half of a slice of bread because it wasn't deep enough to take a full slice of bread..etc. very annoying given the price of the thing.

Just before Christmas I'd had enough when one side of the 4 slice toaster stopped working altogether, and now I've gone back to a lovely stainless steel one from the supermarket which cost less than half the price of the previous one..and it works brilliantly...perfect toast both sides in less than a minute

7. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I may need to get my Costco membership back for more than checking into glasses. I'm also going to google if there is a way to fix the latch that holds the lever down. I doubt there is a way, but I'll look into it. Toast is one of my favorite things.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It's not that I love toast but the healthy lower carb bread that I eat tastes better toasted, lol.

9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I love bread. I can eat a potato for a meal as long as I have bread. Bread can be the meal and I'm happy. I was out of bread for about 3 days. Last evening I was watching a camper van couple on YouTube I follow and they were at a bread bakery that looked so good in Arizona. I wanted to jump in the car and go buy bread. I got some at Trader Joe's this morning and the first thing I did when I got home was stand there holding down the toaster lever so I could have two pieces of toast. So worth it.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I buy the flax seed bread at Trader Joe's. 2 slices is only 100 calories. Other supermarkets carry it also but Tjs has it a little cheaper.

It's the Alvarado St market bread, and I get the sprouted flaxseed one.

11. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Chrissy Cross I got the Organic 8 Grain. Is the Flaxseed the one that looks like the Alvarado Baking Company? I'm sure it's the same bread, just under the TJ's label. I love the brown bread that comes in those large half loafs but they are huge. They used to have the small whole loaves and I know they sold well but I haven't seen them in weeks. I love bread but those large half loaves are even too big for me!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The toaster I had worked well for many years. Just before Christmas, one of the wires that toasted burnt in two. Dollar General had one on sale so I bought it. It's a piece of crap. As soon as this weather clears up, I'm going to Walmart and buy another one. I've looked at them on line but I want to see it for real before I buy it.

They just don't make things like they used to.

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  15. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Chrissy Cross Yes that's the bread I thought. They have good bread and I used to buy their brand before TJ's came to town. I've bought it also under the TJ's label.

Thank you for that link @Holly Saunders I looked at a YouTube video and online that stated the newer toasters stay down with a magnet instead of a latch like the older ones. Trying to clean it has not worked so far since they said the magnet can get covered with crumbs and not hold properly. I can't find any place to actually take the toaster apart.

@Shirley Martin This is sickly true, I don't think they want to make things that last for years and years because they want people to have to re-buy. It's unethical.

Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.