Buick Eaters

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Ted Richards, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Tumbleweeds

They call me Tubby because I’m very large, and in another place, and another time, I would be King, but in this time, and in this place, it is my friend Tyranny that is King, for he is truly enormous! We call him Tyranny, a nickname, but his true name is Tyrannosaurus, a huge round beast that dwarfs us all. Tyranny and I live in a sheltered place at the base of a small bluff beside a desert wash. The winter snows drifted here and in the spring, the melt water added to the cache of soil moisture, so that we have grown well in these favored conditions, and are sheltered somewhat from the drying winds. We are surrounded by our smaller relatives, Tupelo, the greasy one, little Timmy and Tessie, and at the edge of the wash grows Tumult, that we call Tums.

Sometimes at night, when the others are asleep, Tyranny and I talk softly of our plans for the future. It is not enough for us just to be, and together we plan to do great things. There is a great day coming and it’s coming soon, a day when we will break free of our anchor root and roll free across the prairie, but we plan to do more, much more! Interstate 40 runs near us and it is 4 lanes wide. The prevailing winds will blow us diagonally across it, but to reach it, we must avoid two obstacles; one is a step-sided arroyo that traps many of our kind, and then there is the fence along side the highway. Tyranny and I plan to hold to our root as long as possible and let our less focused brethren fill the arroyo and others will lodge against the fence forming a ramp over this obstacle. Then we will roll free! My dream is to terrorize a Volkswagen, but Tyranny plans to cow a Buick! With luck, we can avoid the 18-wheelers long enough to wreak havoc on the freeway before we roll on to Zuni!

Today, I can feel my root weakening as the wind worries it, but not yet! Not yet! The others have rolled on today but Tyranny and I hold fast this day.

The wind is higher today, and the path is clear, the arroyo filled, the fence packed. Today we roll! If I lean to the left, I can angle that way, and if I lean to the right, I move that way! Not precise steering, but it helps, we have cleared the freeway fence now and are heading into oncoming traffic. There! I see it! A yellow Volkswagen bug! And right beside it, a huge Black Buick! Our quarry is in sight and we make our move! Ah! The sweet smell of burning brakes! There! See them swerve and fishtail! Long have I lived for this, our day of glory! And then on to the other lanes and across as tires squeal in our wake! Such a glorious day!

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Nice Story, Ted!:eek:
    [​IMG]

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Great story! :D You have a vivid imagination. We actually had to brake for one of them once. I wonder if it was Tubby?

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, i'll be dogged and all along I thought it was an accident.