Building A 1/8 Scale Railroad

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Hal Pollner, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    It's known as Baker Valve Gear, invented in about 1906 by Abner Baker. It features only pivoting pins, no links like Walschaert's, no extra eccentrics like Stephenson's, Gooch, Allen, or Joy. No motion at all inside of the frame, thus maintenance-enhanced. All pivot points are supported by sealed ball bearings.

I believe it was New York Central that favored Baker gear on a lot of their locomotives. Reason I employed it was the prototype, built by the CBQ RR itself, had used it.

There was another valve gear distinctly all it's own: Southern RR. I never took the time to study it, but it is said to give excellent steam distribution.
    Frank

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I didn't think so...I was being facetious!

Anyway, I don't think I'd be interested in Private Messaging after all.

Harry

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner Somewhere here-abouts, you asked about my trackage. I cannot find your post but wanted to answer your question. I bought 1500 feet of 10-foot lengths of extruded aluminum 1" high rail, and used my table saw to make ties. Each 2X8 used, or larger, was cut into narrow pieces lengthwise, about 1-3/16" wide (by 1-1/2 thick, of course), then "snipped off" at 9-1/2 inch lengths. I figured I made about 7,500 of those ties; it took weeks. I then hand-bent the curved pieces following a chalkline on my shop floor. Not true "railroad curves". I fastened the rail to the ties using #12 self-tapping screws.

My layout, as I said earlier, was about 750 feet in perimeter. Don't think I've posted this pic before, it shows pretty much the whole perimeter.
    [​IMG]

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Registered

Excellent, Frank!
    Hal

5. Hal Pollner

Registered

After attending my first meeting at the million-dollar Del Webb Aspen Clubhouse, I realized that none of the more than 30 members of the Sun City Train Club modeled in my scale, which is O-Scale, 2-Rail, at 1/48 Scale.

Thus, I had nobody I could share modeling with...I was a Lone Wolf!

They all modeled in HO, N, and 3-Rail Lionel, none of which interests me.

Hal

Frank Sanoica likes this.