Bulletproof Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Mal Campbell, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been reading about this online the last few months, and then saw it on a TV show last week - butter in coffee?? :confused: Sounds really strange to me. The guy in the show I was watching took a big spoonful - probably at least 1-2 tablespoons. Yuck. It's supposed to be all the rage.

Have you ever heard of this? Have you tried it? Is it good?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sounds awful.

Chrissy Cross and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Adam Fields

Adam Fields Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never heard of this and definitely would not want to try it. I'm not much of a coffee person anyway. There does seem to be a big trend in the different styles of coffee coming out. Starbucks is the first to come to mind. You can't go anywhere anymore without seeing someone with one of those cups in their hands.

4. Mal Campbell

Registered

My thoughts, too. But in the show, I think it was Hawaii Five-0, McGarrett makes the comment that it's no different than putting cream in your coffee, butter is just a different form of cream, I guess. It makes sense - I mean I love butter-pecan ice cream - but just don't think I could drink something buttery.

5. Betty Johnstone

Betty Johnstone Veteran Member
    Registered

I totally agree @Ken Anderson . It really does sound awful. Of course, I drink my coffee black, so any additive isn't for me!

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never tried it, but here is a recipe for buttered coffee. Sounds a little fussy to me.

Butter in Your Coffee? The Bulletproof Craze, Explained.
    http://jezebel.com/butter-in-your-coffee-the-bulletproof-craze-explained-1591594091

"People say it does a lot of things: Helps with energy and focus. Gives you greater mental clarity. Gives you a coffee buzz but without the jitters or acid-stomach feeling. Sustains your energy over a longer period of time (six hours). Keeps hunger at bay. Aids in weight loss. Makes you high performance. MAKES YOU BULLETPROOF".

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Mal Campbell

Registered

Wow, sign me up!! All of that from a little dab of butter in my coffee?? What could be better. I love that they tell you it's "critical" that the butter be "grass-fed" - I didn't know butter ate grass. ;) Although, like they say, if it sounds too good to be true .... just call me cynical.

Thanks for posting the article!!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sometimes my brain just doesn't register the obvious important things in life. Now, let me get try to get all of this information just right.

I get my fuzzy self out of bed at around 0500 hrs. and then try to partially clear my real fuzzy head so I can get my Ipad and stand it up on the counter so I can read the directions for my morning coffee. Nope! No go. I have to go get my glasses so my fuzzy self and real fuzzy head can hold up a pair of coke bottle bottoms to get the fuzzy out of my fuzzier eyes.
    Okay, now I am ready to brew my coffee. What do I need first? Coffee? No, I do not have organically fertilized (pooped on) coffee, so the old can of 2.5# for 2.5 dollars will have to do, and I am sure that whoever picked the coffee beans might have done us a favor by relieving himself on the tree thereby giving the name, "organic," a whole new spectrum of reality.
    Okay. Black coffee is ready. At this point I am tempted to slug it down quick so I can at least wake up enough to try some bullet proof coffee. But no, the coffee I made is for the formula at hand.

Next: Medium Chain Triglycerides? I look in the spice department of the cabinets and nope. No MCT anywhere. I am tempted to wake up my wife and ask her about the whereabouts of the MCT but I figured that if it wasn't somewhere around the MSG we didn't have any. Let's see.......there is a reference about coconut oil in the recipe so I look for the coconut oil. Nope....I know my wife has some but where the heck it is, is beyond me. Eureka! An idea! I go into the bathroom and get the coconut oil based hair conditioner for super duper unfuzzy hair which came from the 2 for 2 dollar shelf at the save a buck store! What's more, it should be organic because it was sitting, as I recall, next to the super duper heavy hold Kosher and organic (with the easy push pump) hair spray. I digress! Like love, coconut oil is wherever you find it. With my arsenal of almost MCT's in my hand, I scream at my mug of cheap coffee, (made with relieved on beans) Tally-Ho! We're almost there! (Was that PC?)

Last step. Butter. It can't be just plain butter it has to be made out of grass grown in a cow patty. It sounds like a sure recipe for a trip because, funny mushrooms come from that too! Go figure the name,"bullet proof."
    I do some figuring and it seems reasonable that since butter comes from cream, and cream comes from cows, that when the cows are out in the pasture that the pasture has been properly pooped on so I have exactly what the recipe calls for, sans the brand name. It really can't be more organically grassy than it already is, and I doubt seriously if the brand name is printed with organic ink.

Now, I have all of the ingredients to unfuzzy my head, unfuzzy me, unfuzzy my eyes, but now I am too derned tired to fix this amalgamation of quick insanity so I think I'll pitch the whole thing and drink my now, old, cold, regular 2# for 2 bucks coffee then go back to bed. I don't need to be bullet proof. I just need to be maybe BB proof, or cuss proof, or even, confetti proof.

That is where my mind took me when I read the link. I think I need a pill and a pipe of unorganic Black and Gold Cavendish." then call my friend Peter Remington, the psychologist who will probably give me a lot of organic (and we know for sure what that is) advice. Cheers!!

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Maybe if I set out the coconut oil and the butter next to the coffe pot, the poor fellow can get it all together, you think ?
    Naw.... who knows what he would end up with before he gets his glasses on. Maybe I can just leave out a coconut, and he can drink the black coffee out of that and it will work. Pretty sure my coconut is orgaanic, although not grass-fed.
    I think he just needs to forget about trying all of these new-fangled recipes and use plain old cream in his coffee. It might not be in the spice rack either; but i am pretty sure that he can find the milk jug even without his glasses.

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Jesus, that sounds absolutely disgusting. Hell, I can't even stand putting milk in my coffee, let alone butter! And about the fact that it makes you "bulletproof" - it could make me a super hero and I wouldn't drink my coffee with butter.

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Okaaaaay! Remember, I did say I thought it was a little fussy. Let's turn our horse around 180...and head in the other direction, towards the EZ method of the old days! Course, maybe I went too far! Note: Allow time to dig out the MT can, drill, wire and pliers first.;)

How to Make Cowboy Coffee
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Cowboy-Coffee

Whether you're out camping, or at home and your coffee maker is broken, you still want to enjoy a good cup of coffee. Cowboy coffee is a great method for making coffee using whatever you have available. This article provides two approaches to making cowboy coffee, providing you with plenty of choice for ensuring you get your coffee fix!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never heard of doing this before now, and I am a coffee drinker. My thoughts on this, well I can't really judge it till I have actually tried it. I had a friend years ago who would actually put salt in her leomonade. Peope including myself thought this was strange but then she let me try it. Turns out it wasn't bad, it was kind of like having salt on a lemon, which is something we commonly do. So, as odd as something maybe seem maybe we shouldn't knock it till we have at least tried it.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have been trying out this bulletproof coffee, but only with coconut oil. I admit, the thought of butter in my coffee just does not sound good (or even drinkable) to me. The first time I tried it, a few months ago, I just stirred some coconut oil into my coffee, and I ended up with the oil floating around on top....yuck !
    But after more study , and learning that it was important to use the blender and get all of the oil emulsified, things have been working out much better, and I actually LIKE this stuff now. In fact, I am even making bulletproof tea in the afternoon.
    Here is how I make it.
    I take the small blender container, add a good spoonful of coconut oil, and pour coffee (or hot tea) over that, and stir until the oil is not solid anymore. I didn't want to blend it when it was really hot, so next I add some of my protein drink into the blender, and then a little cream. Sometimes I add part of a scoop of protein powder for extra flavor.
    Now, I put this on the Ninja blender and blend it until it is looking really creamy, and then it is ready to put into my cup and drink.
    Besides the fact that I like the taste of this now, I am feeling some of the good side effects that they say will happen.
    It perks me up right away, and is an ideal breakfast before we go to the fitness center. I have a LOT more energy when I drink this, and just that benefit alone is enough to keep me drinking it.
    But wait...there's more (as they always say in the commercials)....... this also fills me up, satisfies my tummy, and I don't get food cravings because the coconut oil helps keep those away, too.
    It fits in wonderfully with my low-carb/ketogenic diet; so this is an all-around winner, in my opinion. One of these days, I might even get brave enough to actually try it with BUTTER in it ......

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I still think I'll pass.

15. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I worked in a restaurant when I was 12 years old as a dish washer and everyone said they had the best coffee in town. I watched them make the coffee is in a big gas fired perk/thermos which had a glass tube in front to know how much was in it, that made probably 3/4 gallons at a time. The mixture was coffee grounds, salt, butter, and broken eggs with shell.

Yvonne Smith likes this.