Bulletproof Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Mal Campbell, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since I have been making the bulletproof coffee for several days now, I have really noticed a difference, especially in my energy levels ! The idea of drinking this is not just a new trendy way to make coffee; but most people that drink it do so to improve their mental focus and physical energy, and it has certainly helped both with me.
    Plus, it tastes good ! I always put cream in my coffee and usually a little sweetener, so it is probably easier for me to adapt to BPC than someone who just drinks it black all of the time, although people who don't like cream seem to be doing fine with it without any cream.
    The way I make it is to put a spoonful of coconut oil, a spoonful of whey protein, and some coffee in the blender cup, stir so that the oil melts, and then add the cream and blend until it is frothy.
    This drink fills me up, and gives me lots of energy for my swimming and exercises at the fitness center. There is NO brain fog at all, and I just feel mentally sharp.
    No matter how I preferred my morning coffee, the benefits of BPC make it it worth drinking every morning.
    I also have been making this with a cup of tea later in the day, and that seems to be good, too; but it is not a problem sleeping like it might be if I drank too much coffee.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree! I really don't even like coffee and I only drink it for the caffeine. I don't sit and enjoy it but just chug it down as quickly as possible.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife sprung this on me today. Her little group (now 5000+ strong) on "Laughlin Buzz" use the term for regular coffee laced with butter, coconut oil, or etc.

Supposedly this reduces glycemic "spike" otherwise occurring.......part of the "Keto" craze. I use that phrase loosely, and without malice, please, but fail still to adhere to some of these new ideas........

I managed to get to 75 by eating and drinking like a Glutton (".....small mammal so-named due to it's voracious appetite"). Maybe I'm the "exception to rule"?
    Frank

Tim Burr and Bill Boggs like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have often wondered: When we are told that if we do such and such, our lives will be extended by a couple of years but if I feel as though I didn't get those couple of extra years by doing such and such when I die, who do I sue?
    I mean, if say, I eat something I do not care for like yogurt in order to extend my life and set aside all that wonderful steak I want to eat but do not and have a massive coronary anyway, who's responsible?

On the same level, who started the craze of putting butter into coffee? Probably some butter making conglomerate bent on producing higher sales in the wake of the high usage of oleo. What if I don't last another 6 months after I start drinking it? Who do I sue? It's a conspiracy!!

Bill Boggs and Tim Burr like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

When I was following the ketogenic diet, I made bullet-proof coffee, too. I didn’t care for the butter in the coffee, but I did add coconut oil and then blended it in.
    The way that I made it was to put a little coffee and my cream and the spoon of coconut oil (usually hardened except in the heat of summer) into the small blender cup, and blend in the coconut oil.
    Once that was blended in, then I poured it into my coffee cup and filled the cup up with coffee and stirred it all together. Sometimes I also added a teaspoon of straight cocoa powder, and made bullet-proof mocha coffee.
    By blending it all together, it will keep the coconut oil from settling on the top of the coffee, and it tastes much better.

I have now stopped doing the ketogenic diet, and started on a plant-based diet, and it is working for me better than the keto diet did, I feel good, losing weight, and have a great attitude about life with this new food plan.
    (To learn more, check out my thread in the health section of this forum.....)

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The only thing that anyone needs in coffee is coffee.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have used half n half in my coffee for years...I like it and refuse to stop. Here recently have been using Left Field half n half with sugar..that is tasty to.
    As for all the hype on all the dos and don'ts..hog wash....moderation is the key.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Perhaps on some particularly cold mornings I might wish for a syphoning tube to be placed in it going from the pot to my cup in the living room but other than that, black if you please....................

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yes, @Gloria Mitchell, I do most definitely agree. Sometimes the coffee is too hot to drink so I wait to drink the whole pot when it's moderately hot.......

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson @Yvonne Smith
    Understood, and agreed! How does one, anyway, blend in oil in a cup of coffee, since oil floats on water?
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

On this one I do have to defend the bullet proof coffee drinkers. The coffee added to the water gives the liquid enough consistency to accept the oil / butter when it is put into a blending process. Similar to making a good Italian dressing or a balsamic vinegar dressing.

Between my wife and I, it's my wife who has the patience and wherewithal to make the stuff after just getting out of bed. I, on the other hand, have trouble opening a new can of coffee or grinding beans when I am not awake yet.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bobby Cole
    So, we are "homogenizing" coffee? Drink right away, as even salad dressings ":settle out" after awhile, or perhaps stir the coffee often............
    Frank

13. Yvonne Smith

I think that if you just add the oil (butter or coconut oil) to black coffee, it will not blend in, even with a blender, @Frank Sanoica . The reason that it worked for me is because I always use milk or cream in the coffee, and when you blend it with a high-speed blender, then the oil and the cream do seem to homogenize together.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The fats will eventually separate unless you have an emulsifier included. When you make mayonnaise, you have the oil, egg (or yolk), and one or more acids (usually vinegar and/or lemon juice). When you whip that up at high speed, it doesn't separate if you have done it properly. As Frank said with salad dressing, however, those without emulsifiers will eventually separate. When milk is homogenized, the particles are so small that the milk will break down before it separates.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

I have now started adding the Kerrygold butter into my Bulletproof Coffee, and I have found that i really DO like butter in coffee. Part of the premise of this is due to butter actually being made from cream, so it has similar properties when added to coffee, even without cream. However, I still add some cream to mine, just for the color appeal, but it would probably taste as good even without that , because of the butter,
    Bulletproof Coffee is part of Dave Asprey’s Bulletproof Diet, and he first learned about adding butter to tea when he was on a trip to the Himalayas and had some tea made with Yak butter.
    Once you blend it, it doesn’t separate again, and if I don’t drink all of my coffee in the morning , then I add the leftover into my iced coffee in the afternoon, and it still stays blended.
    If you just try to add coconut oil to iced coffee and blend, the ice hardens the coconut oil, and you get tiny chunks of the hardened coconut oil no matter how long you blend; but if it is blended when it is hot, then it stays blended, even with ice added.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Bobby Cole likes this.