Bye-bye, Aunt Jemima

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

There goes another American Icon, recognized for 131 years, shot down by racist militants.

Hal

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Martin Alonzo and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

What an ignorant statement. Tthe Aunt Jemima Icon never bothered me, I like you and Bobby am lily white. Never have I been black,neither have you. Obviously some folks running the Quaker Oats company felt that their logo may have been repugnant to some, so they removed the offensive image.
    What skin is it off your ass? Are you a stock holder afraid your shares are going to lose value?
    I was upset when Land O Lakes butter removed the Indian Maiden. I had hours of giggly fun folding the box so her knees looked like titties. But I got over it. I am sure you will also!

The phrase "Racist Guerrillas", refers to who exactly?

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well, I guess that also means that the marker in Wood county, Texas honoring Lillian Richard is going to have to be sacked as well.
    She represented Aunt Jemima as the company spokeswoman from 1925 until she had a stroke in 1948.

4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm posting this picture because although Aunt Jemima is not history it certainly has a history. 104167605_10158179093776067_4213391400865331437_n.jpg

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

So.....where does it stop? This whole thing has nothing to do with what a company decides to do or not to do anyway but it does have something to do with the reasoning.
    In this case it’s just a marketing ploy (as most of these shenanigans are) with the PR people believing that if they sympathize with a cause their sales will go up.
    I mean, if someone really believes that a black kid somewhere is so offended by the picture on a syrup bottle that he told his mother that he couldn’t bare to eat it, I‘d sure like to meet him.
    It’s all stupid, it’s hypocritical and highly political but a move that is made to improve sales and nothing more.

Personally, among the maple syrup class, I lean toward Mrs. Butterworth but alas, with all the idiocy going on, someone is going to get ticked about the Mrs. part and it will have to be changed to Ms or even something along the lines of trans something. Gotta improve that sales base!!

Now, so far as the Nazi thing goes:
    They are the same people who are censoring and destroying things like Civil War Memorabilia, Gone with the Wind” and Most of Mark Twain’s books along with scads of other items that, for whatever reason offend someone in some way. Next thing to go will be the majority of Shirley Temple movies.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I’m not a woman but I think that if I were I’d be a tad judgmental about your brutish alternative to the word breasts. Alas, I’m not a woman so i’m not going to be judgmental, or am I?

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have zero respect for companies folding to these ridiculous "demands." I will avoid Quaker Oats products (and all Pepsico) in the future. Hello, Log Cabin.

I suppose now we can look for Uncle Ben, Sweet Baby Ray, etc. to disappear into oblivion.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Your responses always reinforce the stereotype of hysterical liberals in my head. Instead of a conversation you want to dominate, name call, and stoop to using gutter language to press your point (which is lost in the delivery.) Not very effective.

8. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I am not hysterical, and I do enjoy gutter language. My point is, if a corporation wants to change its logo, unless you are a majority stockholder what business is it of yours?
    I want to express my opinion in any language that will get someones attention. look into yourself and see if there is anything that needs to change. Systemic racism exist every where, and remaining quiet in the face of it is exactly the same as a officer kneeling on a mans neckand three others watching and doing nothing. If you aren't testifying against something,that only means that you are complicit in the furtherance of the sin!

Once again Who are the "Racist Guerrillas"?

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, I'm fluent in gutter-speak myself and if anyone is easily offended they should never ride in a car with me driving. I'm not offended by it but it doesn't make for effective conversation.

And I really don't see any connection with a pancake/syrup brand and what happened to Mr. Floyd, which was a total tragedy. Any reasonable person can watch that video and see that he was murdered by a bad seed. I see the injustice but I don't believe we need to burn our country down, removing all traces of history in the process. Racism isn't going to be cured by renaming breakfast foods.

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yes, you do like to use gutter language but it is like I wrote to you in a particular PM, it takes away from any idea that your intelligence level is anywhere near what you want folks to think you are really capable of.
    I mean, you obviously like vulgarity but the facts are, such use doesn’t necessarily raise any awareness of anything else but upon yourself and your lack of respect for what some might call crossing the line.
    All the attention is on you and not on Uncle Ben or Aunt whatever but on you which is where you really want it.

There now, is THAT what you mean about testifying against something?

Secondly, why would NOT a name change be my business? They are asking for my business, they put the product on the shelves to get my business ergo....It is indeed MY business.
    Among other questions I might have, when they change the name will they also change the product? If I have to buy it to try it (similar to what your hero N. Pelosi suggested) I do not think I would want to.

One last thing though: How in the world does one equate a name change based on race to kneeling on someone’s neck? I’ve had a lot of AJ syrup but never thought about kneeling on anyone’s neck much less to a black guy. Is that something that happens in New York? Hmmmm.....I just had AJ syrup so I guess that means that God and man will know that I really want to kneel on someone’s neck!! Ab-flipping-surd!!

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I totally forgot that I was going to respond to this.

What business of mine? Well, I'm the most important part of the corporation's business... the customer. In their thinly-veiled attempt to pander to a mob they are irritating others who (used to) buy their product. Besides the fact that with a renaming, they are losing brand identity that has been established for decades.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben were never depicted as subjects of ridicule and not necessarily as slaves, and no one ever took them as such. It's PC gone overboard.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

One Major thing I’d like to add to this.
    Aunt Jemima, though a fictitious name was first represented by a black, x-slave, lady by the name of Nancy Green. It’s an amazing story which started with her migrating north after being freed as a slave. In a time when women didn’t vote, work outside the home and didn’t have bank accounts if they were married, she found herself able rise above any and all stereotypes of her race AND gender.

To me, if General Mills wants to get rid of the present logo because of whatever rationalization they’re using, the very least they could do is to openly tell the story of how the lady found her way out of poverty. It’s a given that most left wing whiners would still see it as a racist move but those who do a little research would see that it denotes success in a time when no woman much less a black woman born in slavery would have been able to achieve without the assistance of their company.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The laughable thing is that Uncle Ben was an actual black rice farmer who supplied high quality rice to the armed forces in WWII.
    Instead of succumbing to the race baiting, why aren’t they promoting the successes of a black person? Is being a rice farmer some kind of degrading kind of work?
    Dunno but to me, if folks focused on seeing the positive sides of things instead of burying their heads in the toilet there might be a little more teaching going on. All they’re doing at the present time is stroking feathers which simply leads one to continue on in ignorance.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Its my uerstanding that Nancy Green was the 1t black millionaire

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.