California Is Burning

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

How come the global climate change effecting western US isn't effecting Canada or Mexico?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Canada and Mexico both have better global warming policies than the United States so they are not affected.

Frank Sanoica and Al Amoling like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My goodness Peter, why do you think I need simmering down? It wasn’t I who threw the exclamation points around, it was you.
    I am just being me. Calm, very collected and totally focused.
    Now, as as far as thinking that you might be an anus, why that’s totally ridiculous. Why would I liken you to something that has no opinion at all but is still fully functional and cleaner than a lot of mouths I have heard which makes them much better than a lot of people I know.
    And do please stop with the paranoia thing. I reply more to everyone else far more than I reply to you. If anything, you should feel somewhat cheated.

Back to the OP.
    Whether a person believes that a sudden onslaught of global warming is fact or fiction is purely objective at this point and also, whether or not global warming is the culprit causing all of the fires is also objective with no subjectivity to back it up. You’ll notice that even the politicians have switched to “climate change” and have been since Obama changed his wording way back whenever.
    Now, are hot and dry weather conditions involved? Yes. Do high winds have something to do with the fire problem? Yes. Could it be because of lousy forest control? Yes.
    Is it because of global warming? Dunno but if it is, I’m sure there are other elements involved as well like idiots handling pyrogens that shouldn’t be.

Do note: The reference you used as a dig with Yvonne saying that Romero is her boy, guy, man or whatever is the same dig I used on you in regard to Pelosi. Don’t like it? Quit doing it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Better control of their borders.

Bobby Cole and Al Amoling like this.
  5. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know that it's not affecting those countries. You're going to make me do some research. Get back to you later.

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It has had several nearby, but we have some quick responders that have knocked them out quickly. However, we have been in extremely dangerous smoke for four days now. I have kept my windows sealed and AC fan going 24/7. The smoke from all the Calif, Oregon, and Washington fires seem to merge around Portland and then travel up the river keeping the Columbia Gorge and the Columbia Basin smoke-filled at extreme levels. It stagnates all along the way and the down pressures keep it from rising out. My area has been over AQI of 428 for days with highs of 575 and across the river in Washington at 775. These numbers are the AQI or Air Quality Index. As you can see from the below chart I am in extreme hazardous. So far doing so so with burning eyes, raw throat, and nasal passage. My attitude .... well you take a wild guess hahaha! Even in the COVID baseline lockdowns, I was able to walk every day for a few miles, now I am sealed inside and avoiding activity. Luckily I got the first part of my yearly cancer test completed the day before the smoke rolled in and so far indications are good but waiting biopsy on one small benign-looking tumor.

AQI Air Pollution Level Health Implications Cautionary Statement (for PM2.5)
    0 - 50 Good Air quality is considered satisfactory and air pollution poses little or no risk None
    51 -100 Moderate Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants, there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people who are unusually sensitive to air pollution. Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion.
    101-150 Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is not likely to be affected. Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion.
    151-200 Unhealthy Everyone may begin to experience health effects; members of sensitive groups may experience more serious health effects Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should avoid prolonged outdoor exertion; everyone else, especially children, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion
    201-300 Very Unhealthy Health warnings of emergency conditions. The entire population is more likely to be affected. Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should avoid all outdoor exertion; everyone else, especially children, should limit outdoor exertion.
    300+ Hazardous Health alert: everyone may experience more serious health effects Everyone should avoid all outdoor exertion

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The main cause of fires in Oregon is downed power lines, a few from cigarettes, some from vehicles, and two so far documented arson. The unusual high winds were the cause of the downed lines and the fast spread of the fires. I have been in Oregon 45 years and every year fire season has some unusual weather occurrence that aids the fires. Most years is it lightening. The Earth has been ongoing climate change ever since the beginning. Blaming fires on man-caused climate change is totally unscientific. Just a lame political move by the west coast liberals to cover up their GROSS mismanagement of the forest and failed green new deals. Their defunding of many rural fire districts over the years wasn't a smart move. Leaving a forest of snags for wildlife homes is good until lightning hits a snag and spreads fire several hundred yards within seconds. With just a light wind this can lead to a difficult to control the situation.

I just got in an argument with some liberal Californians that an article I posted on another site, about a fire near where I live was false and just based on a 2017 fire. The photographs by the sheriff dept clearly show fireworks put by the roadside and are dated Sept. 11, 2020. So out of several hundred fires, two are proven arson. Nearly all the other fires are from downed power lines and this is documented.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

This article is very accurate. Also I was on evacuation notice for several hours, then the wind switched and gave firefighters the time to soak down several acres a few miles from the new direction of the fire. They stopped it much to doubters surprize. The wind was blowing they say 50 MPH, but the Fire Cheif says he was going 60 MPH and it was outrunning him. The direction change saved the day. This fire was believed to be started by a cigarette. It was moving so fast that some construction equipment in a field wasn't even scorched. The paint on it looks good as it did before the fire. The wind kept the fire low and burning dead grass. It didn't even have time to burn sagebrush.
    https://nypost.com/2020/09/12/dozens-still-missing-from-oregon-towns-ravaged-by-wildfires/

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Dwight Ward

Registered

I used to live in Oregon. I can't imagine what you and others are going through. Thanks for telling us about AQI and the readings you're seeing.

Frank Sanoica and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Dwight Ward

Registered

Where in Oregon do you live? I lived in La Grande, Klamath Falls and Newport on the coast.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

A bit east of Portland currently, but I have lived and worked all over Oregon over the years. Mainly Eastern Oregon. Well, acquainted with La Grande although I haven't been there in 20 years.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  12. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is also the hypothesis my son is saying for why the fires are based in the one area.. the north west ..both California and Oregon being Democrat states. He says this raises doubts over the fires being caused by mother nature alone. This is the point on which I tend to agree with my boy.
    I have not checked current temps in others areas of the US but betting some of the mid west and southern states have also had scorching summer temps but we dont see or at least I have not heard of out of control wildfires there.

Dwight Ward and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

There was one fire known to have been caused by a "Gender Reveal" pyrotechnic that caused a 7,000 acre fire in California, if I recall correctly. People are idiots.

Stay safe, @Faye Fox I'd send you some rain if I could.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Washington has also been having more fires than usual, and both Washington and Oregon have been arresting some of the arsonists as they are able to catch them.
    Regardless of who is doing the fire setting, it is arson caused fires, and has ruined lives and homes.

This is a picture of my DIL’s sister’s home (or what once was her home) in the tiny town of Phoenix , Oregon.
    Since almost their whole town burned to the ground, I have no idea where they are going to live. Obviously, this is one of those Times, “you can never go back home again”.

3049A5F1-1498-40B2-B01C-E1E59F4E2AE0.jpeg

Craig Wilson likes this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

This photo was taken by a friend from her place several miles from Talent as it was burning.
    New Image.jpg