California Is Like Evangelical Christianity?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Don Alaska, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's an interesting article, Don. I have seen that in Christianity, and in Christians who are always seeking the new emotional high, but I would have never though to equate the two.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Although I would not have used California's dependency on booms to help the state's economy as an example, I can still see the validity in the message.

For the Christian church in general, we've all seen the tremendous booms that it seems to depend on in order to gain and keep it's followers.
    Especially in the late 70' through the early 80's and the "Jesus Christ Superstar" movements and then in the late 80's and 90's with the healing ministries and the advent of the mega churches that spanned the whole of the U.S.
    Super churches who's ministries depend on near secular music in order to charge up the congregation for praise and worship.
    Mega churches need mega bucks to sustain them so they are indeed dependent upon economic innovations and fanciful invention in order to build the huge congregations needed to furnish the financing. It's a business like any secular venture.

I call it the "I Love You Jesus Aspirin" in that people go to their church to feel renewed and get that "high on Jesus" attitude which is without a doubt totally emotion based.
    But, just like any medicine, when someone becomes tolerant of it, they need a bigger dose in order to get the "I'm fixed" feeling they so badly seem to need.
    Rather than experience the simplicity of having a relationship with the Master, some if not most of today's worshippers need an extra boost to keep them interested in their own salvation but are they really there to experience grace and the fellowship of our Lord and learn more of Him or are they there to be entertained?

Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well California is the "entertainment" state for sure...and now days people want to be "entertained" in their churches too...so there is a bit of truth to this article for sure.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It all seems to lead to, or perhaps rather derive from, what I call "Shallow Christianity". Regardless of the denomination, many of the adherents seem to have a superficial belief system, in which judging others or criticizing other denominations appears to be the focus of their faith. That is why Megachurches and Superchurches can exist. As has been said, the entertainment trumps the theology.