Camera Or Smartphone?

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Linda Mansfield, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

Does your smart phone have a removable memory card? My phone isn't compatible with my computer and I discovered that the only way to download the photos from mine was to remove the memory card and put it into a separate memory card reader. Maybe that's what you need to do too.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I use my iphone for taking pics and I can either email, text, post on Facebook or post on forums the pics I take.

Once in awhile I'll take a pic with my iPad Air but the quality is better on my iphone 6.

And if I email them to myself, I can download them to my computer that I never use.

3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

My sister has been stuck with the same dilemma; a camera or a smartphone.

For her is important to have good pictures, but yet she wants to find the ideal smartphone to avoid having a separate camera, but for me the quality or type of camera made not much difference until past week...

Happens that I got borrowed a smartphone being in need to take some pics, and the lack of keys or buttons to make the shot simply didn't help to get perfect photos because shooting requires to touch the screen, and touching makes things go out of focus unless you have a pulse of steel.

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes
    Yes I agree it can be a bit hit and miss using a smart phone in my experience, and my small pocket camera takes vastly superior photos, but I do know some of the latest high end smartphones take excellent photos, as good as the average point and shoot, so for everyday pics the convenience of having a phone doubling as a camera wins for convenience.

Lois Winters likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha!! This is definitely something close to my heart. I am an avid passionate photo taker..not photographer..I wish I was good enough for that..but I take photos everywhere...

I have an iphone, and previous to that I had Blackberries ...and I carry a Fuji finepix bridge camera everywhere with me.

There is no question that the camera takes far superior photos than the iphone...and although the iphone is good...it nowhere nearly matches the photos that the Blackberry took...in fact the Blackberry zoom was far superior not only to the iphone but even to my Camera...

I'm just on my way to work..but tomorrow on my day off, I'll try and remember to post some comparison photos..

Lois Winters and Terry Page like this.
  6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I agree Holly a smartphone will probably never match the quality or as important the flexibility of a Bridge or SLR camera, but for simple point and shoot snapshots which a lot of people are only interested in, then the smartphone now equals the basic compact camera in my opinion, so I see no reason to carry both.

Like you I also am not a photographer but a keen photo taker and I use a Sony high end pocket camera which works well for me when travelling and on vacation.

7. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

Please look into DropBox .I use it with my Desktop,Kindle,Roku and Tablet. With any of your devices, you send the pics to dropbox and they will be stored there for use with all of them..

You download an account to your Desktop first. Then with your other devices you download from an app store (or Roku Channel).

If you take a picture with your phone you can send it to the app and it will be stored on all of the others.

With Roku, you can view all of your pictures in a slide show on your TV..

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Dropbox is a great idea, I save many of the things that I work on to Dropbox in case I want my wife to help me work on something.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have Dropbox, use it for movies Terry drops into it....he has quite a collection. :)

Terry Page likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Robin just gave me an iPhone 11, and it has a superb camera ! She has the new iPhone 11 Pro, which has a camera with even more capabilities than mine has.
    I have not used an actual camera for at least 5 years, and I am happy with the pictures I can take on my iPhone.
    I really love the Live Photo option, because it not only takes a picture, but it also captures a few seconds of video along with the photo, and when you touch it (on your touchscreen) then you can see and hear the picture move for a few seconds.

Except for people who are photographers and need a sophisticated camera, or for people who cannot master using a smartphone; I think that a good smartphone will suffice for most regular camera needs.

This is a picture that I took of the Airbnb where we stayed in Washington. I took it at night with no special equipment or filters, and it came out fantastic.
    0E664B1D-9DB5-4A75-9926-555AA49BE9AC.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Beth Gallagher and Bill Boggs like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Enjoy your new phone, Yvonne. My husband got his new 11 last week, after having a "5" for several years. He's trying to get used to the size of it!! I still use my 6+, which will also make the "live" photos. I suppose I'll hold off upgrading until they stop pushing software updates for my 6.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

While my smartphone takes fine pictures, I cannot live without my camera. It takes terrific photos.

Yvonne Smith likes this.