Can Anybody Identify This Car?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You're probably right. I can't read the writing on the OP photo, but the designator is in the same place as the photo of the Willy's above, and appears to be about the same length.

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Underneath the photo of the car, the inscription said 1940 model. I have a powerful magnifying glass for low vision people and I read Willys on Hal's car, so looked it up on internet to get model.

3. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, Hal's thread and first post kind of inspired me to post mine. Actually, I was glad to have found this pic which matches Hal's photo (#1) so nicely for it also shows the cliché of a woman and a car. So you might say that those two pics are a comparative study in communism vs capitalism but not my photo alone even if it shows a girl and an (ugly) car. The car makes the difference not the woman shown.

I agree, though, that advertising a car in this way was rare in communist countries (but it did happen in the early days) because demand wasn't to be stimulated. I'm relieved that neither you nor anyone else seem to know the car. As I said, this car ought not to be known the world over. It's one of two car models ever produced in East Germany. This one is the simpler, less expensive version with a plastic car body designed for the average customer who'd had to wait a minimum of 8 years for it. It's got a tiny 22 hps, 0.6 ltr two-stroke engine which emits a horrible stink. Ingeniously, the gas tank is placed above the engine...It's called Trabant and used to be the most prominent vehicle seen for the first time by many people outside East Germany when it was used by East Germans crossing the border for the first time after the wall had come down. West German cities got tainted with the stinking plumes of its exhaust fumes and their inhabitants ran away screaming.

As often, I love your style, this time the "high risk/high maintenance" reference.;)

Bobby Cole likes this.