Can Men And Women Just Be Friends?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Boris Boddenov, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Men and women can just be friends ...... especially when they're old. :D

The older they are, the more likely they are to be just friends. :D:D:D

Bill Boggs and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

of course we can be friends. I was working as an independent contractor when I was 40 and went to work for a company that made grading wheels. the first project I got while there was to work with a woman who was in here middle 60s. We became friends, had lunch together quite often. After she retired she'd come by and we'fd go to lunch and talk and then I'd go back to work. Then I bought a business in Maine and moved there. She's visit me ant my business and eventually she also moved to Maine and our friendship grew, She and her husband would come visit us for a meal and we'd go to there place for a meal. I last talked with her around 2012 and she and her husband are now deceased,

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Boris Boddenov

Registered

I think that a lot of men and women would like to be just friends but are afraid of how society would view such a relationship.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes its easy, sometimes its hard.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  5. Boris Boddenov

Registered

Wife & I worked at the same agency, but mostly in different depts. One of the unmarried males in her dept. and she shared an interest in Star Wars & Star Trek. They even attended a coupla movies together.

He professed to being straight and I believed it to be so, even if a bit ... not exactly effeminate but tending to be. It's hard to 'splain. But even if he were a stud muffin, I'd still not protest. If someone vows better or worse but then violates that vow, you shouldn't have been together in the 1st place.

The three of us along with several other couples went to monthly Friday lunches for quite a while after retirement.

6. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

From a singles point of view:
    It would be nice to have friends some prefer girlfriends some get along better with the opposite sex. From what I understand, having friendships with the opposite sex, either one, may expect more than just that, especially if both are single. When that happens, emotions and other aspects get in the way. In order for two people to have an understanding of their friendship, there should be communication. If, in the event, one or other wants to cross that line then they should be able to communicate and accept each others decision. Is this possible in real life?? I dont think so. And of course, when or if it happens, what will be the verdict of the community!!!

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes ,No ,Kinda sort of-
    I have been freinds with male plus benifits. No attachments.
    I have been freinds with male whom some women would not consider datable(appearance wise).
    The best male friend was gay and he was a co worker. Gay men make excellent running buddies.
    But The Very Best of them all..was the man I married:).

Don Alaska and Boris Boddenov like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I think so. I've had a lot of male friends over the years. Like Gloria, one of my best friends is a gay man. He and I are so much alike personality wise that it's kind of scary.

9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm super-best-friends with my old high school boyfriend. We "went steady" in our Junior year. No hanky panky. Well, maybe a hint of hanky but definitely no panky.

I think, on the whole though, that once a man and woman have had a serious relationship and have parted, it would be hard for them to be "friends".

Bill Boggs likes this.
  10. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, it could be hard if either one keeps putting their "foot in the mouth ".