Can We Survive In This Day And Age By Avoiding The Big 5 Tech Giants

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Susan Paynter, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Can we block or avoid using Amazon Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Apple one at a time, to find out how to live in the modern age without each one. One reporter did give it a try. Of course, she had other useful resources to help her out. I am not sure how long I would last without them, atleast google.. It will drive me insane without a search engine for knowledge.

Is there a simple way OUT!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are other search engines besides google that people can choose instead, but I understand the gist of what you are saying, @Susan Paynter . It would definitely be hard for me to avoid at least some of these companies.
    My iPad and iPhone and Apple Watch are all dependent on Apple technology, and I belong to about a dozen facebook groups for different topics that I am interested in. Plus, Facebook is how I keep in touch with my family that do not live close to me, and without phone or internet, it would be pretty hard to be able to enjoy the communication with each other that we have now.

More and more, we have been ordering things from Amazon, as opposed to shopping at the store, and not finding anywhere near the selection that is online, and the lockdown has made it harder to do regular store shopping.
    There was a lot of good tings about growing up in the age of letters and pay phones and party lines and real letters; but I rely too much on modern technology to want to go back to that kind of communication again.

Beth Gallagher and Susan Paynter like this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

No. We're hooked.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  4. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    @Shirley Martin
    I agree,we are so dependent on their technology, but the amount of data they are collecting on us is rapidly increasing. I won't be surprised, if all this will be used against us at some stage. I just hope not in my lifetime

5. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I always wonder if these folks that have "smart homes" have given the big picture any thought?
    Smart alarm on your door,,knows when you come go and close up for the night, which doors and windows are open and when
    Smart refrigerator, some even include the convenience of a running inventory
    Smart lighting heating,
    Smart TV heck Sleep Number even has a smart bed.
    Each and every one of these wonderful aids, report back to big brother.

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Alexa and Cortana are always listening.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't imagine life without Amazon, or my Apple devices. I suppose any brand of smart phone would work as well, but the end result of tracking would be the same. I've never used Facebook and have no plan to do so.