Canary Watch

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Canary Watch is a coalition of organizations that includes the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Berkman Center for Internet and Society, NYU's Technology Law & Policy Clinic, and the Calyx Institute, which runs and hosts Canary Watch.

Given that under current US laws (if we can rightfully call them that), when a company is served with a secret warrant, it is prohibited from telling anyone -- even the company's attorney -- that a warrant has been served.

Using an Internet Service Provider as an example, given that the ISP is unable to advise anyone, including those who may be involved in the warrant, that information or access is being demanded by the government, some ISPs have elected to publish what is sometimes referred to as "transparency reports," stating that they have not received any national security letters in a particular six-month period, as they are allowed to report that they have not been served with a warrant.

When the ISP does not include this statement, it can be inferred from the silence that it has now received such a letter.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I read that report. It's one of the reasons I stopped visiting the library, with them tracking everything that I read. Realistically though, unless you live in a tent in the woods and use no electronics, they already know what they need to about you from multiple sources. Little Billy is a billionaire because he worked closely with the intelligence agencies to insure his OS had multiple back doors into our private lives. I don't feel much like hiding from Big Brother anymore. F___ THEM ALL.

3. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator
    Staff Member Greeter Registered

Although the site is still up, Canary Watch is no longer maintained.

Joe Riley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.