Cancer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's the toughest part...waiting for results. Sending positive vibes your way, Ken.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We will be praying for you , too, @Ken Anderson . Hoping that everything turns out to be benign this time.

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Praying all is good for you at this time.

4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Well half of the scary part is over. I would tell you immerse yourself in your garden, or your wildlife cameras for the next week, but 'something' tells me your not in 60* temperatures as Texas is. But I know you have very diverse interests, so find something you've been meaning to get around to, and jump into it. Let it consume your thoughts, That was the only way I could let go of some of my fear. Occupying your brain will release some of your stress. Stress is an enemy of cancer, so please find something to take your mind away from this week of waiting for your diagnosis. May the Creator carry you through this time in your life.

Just know we are all praying for your recovery. You have become a friend to us, and with that comes a return of the care you have shown us.

PS: I'm crossing my finger just in case it might work.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Wishing the best for you.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've had a biopsy in my throat last year ken, and there's talk of performing another biopsy in my Brain in the next few weeks...I know how scary it can be wondering what they might find...( in my case more scary that they'll actually find a BRAIN)..only kidding..just trying to lighten the mood..;).but just to let you know that I know how you must be feeling...hope you're not too sore today and @Ina I. Wonder is right, the best thing you can do if possible is too immerse yourself into something that's releases stress from the body..it's actually one of the many reasons I prefer this forum to any others , ..it's a pleasure to come here and have people be genuinely nice, and I feel my stress levels lowering immediately I read posts on here..:)

7. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes as others have said Ken, hope it's good news take care.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is getting to be scary. @Ken Anderson, I agree that having 2 cancers is not a very encouraging diagnosis. Worse, there is the possibility that the second cancer is caused by metastasis - the first cancer has been spreading the cancer cells to other parts of the body. I am not comfortable in discussing cancer but for the sake of this thread, I am trying to express what's on my mind.

On a brighter note, I know of several people who are surviving or have survived cancer. My sister-in-law, wife of my husband's brother who was here last month on a vacation, had breast cancer. But after treatment and mastectomy, she is doing okay for 5 years now as cancer-free. However, the doctor is still monitoring her regularly because cancer can always recur.

Let's just pray that the thyroid problem is not related to your prostate problem.

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson. Well I for one am wondering if you ever got your biopsy results?

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The initial results of the needle biopsy were that it was not cancerous. Apparently, these aren't the final results because they were given to me as initial results. I am scheduled for a consultation with my doctor on the 8th, at which time I expect he will have scheduled surgery, since it needs to come out, cancerous or not. If the final results are still that it is not cancerous, then they will be removing only my right thyroid.

11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"The facts are that most people who get cancer eventually die from cancer, although the time intervals may vary greatly."

Ken: Do not abide by these types of prophesies. You are in a unique circumstance which encompasses only you and the practitioners. We all here certainly wish to see your outcome as successful. Suck in your gut and breathe deeply. If you are a Veteran, ya'all know my meaning. We all wish well for you. Frank

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

From the needle biopsy, there are two types of cancer that it could be. Mine is the lesser of the two, and it's a 1-5% chance of it being malignant. So only the right thyroid will be removed, at a time to be scheduled later, but probably within a week or so. Possible complications range, in the order of likelihood, from just a scar on my neck to being unable to reach high notes (Tip Toe Through the Tulips), to hoarseness, to being unable to speak at all, to having to breathe through a stoma, to not having to worry about any of that because I'll be dead. If they find malignant cancer from a more complete biopsy on the right thyroid itself, they will have to go back in again within a week, which would increase chances of complications. I may or may not have to take calcium supplements after the surgery. I will be hospitalized overnight following the operation, unless I'm dead of course, but either way I won't be coming home that night.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson. You and I both know who's in control here. May He fill you with His peace and assurance that as His beloved son He's got you covered and will see you through whatever is ahead of you. In Jesus' name I speak this assurance to you my brother in Christ.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson. Can you give us an update on where things stand at this time?