Car Insurance Discount

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Peter Renfro, May 17, 2020.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is liability.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That is so weird that they would raise your rates for liability based on a previous wreck of that vehicle. Since they aren't paying for any collision damage what the heck difference would that make. I think I'd shop for a new insurance company.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

I am definitely going to change my insurance carrier, and also my renters insurance, since it is from Farmers’, too. I have talked with my regular insurance agent, and he is looking to see what would be a better option for me.

I also wrote to our US Representative to see if what Farmers did was legal, and asked where to report them if it is not an acceptable practice:
    Mo Brooks letter
    I am a 75 year old low-income senior lady. My car insurance company raised my monthly rates about $30 a month, and the letter of explanation said that my vehicle was severely damaged.
    It is a 20 year old vehicle, but runs fine for its age, and has not been involved in any accidents, so I called to see why they raised my rates so much.

They said that they did a title search and it showed that the vehicle was in an accident in 2003, and had frame damage, and this was on the information when it was sold through an auction at that time.
    I have owned the vehicle for about 2 years, so I have no information about what happened to it in 2003.

I don’t understand how something that happened to the vehicle almost 20 years ago, and that they have never charged me for previously, can suddenly justify this almost 30% rate increase.
    In April, I paid $70+ , and this month, it was over $100+.
    Can you advise me whether this is legal to do, and if not, what I should do about reporting it ? When most insurance companies have been lowering rates temporarily because of the covid, this company has raised mine, and it seems to me like it was targeting a senior citizen unfairly.

Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

I have changed my car insurance and also our renters insurance, and I have both (plus a lot better coverage) for less than I was paying with Farmers. My new company is National General, and we have twice the coverage amounts on the vehicle policy, and also more for the renter’s insurance.
    Since National general is also offering a discount for their Smart Drive program, I downloaded the Routely app on my iPhone, and it keeps track of my driving, and saves extra money on premiums.
    It said that I get a 5% discount just for using the program, and up to 10% savings for good driving record.

For anyone who uses a smartphone, you might want to check with your insurance agent, and see if this kind of a program is also available with your company.
    The app also gives you information about your driving, so you can keep track of how far you went, and information like that. It turns out that the route that we take to go to the fitness center is just a little bit longer than the route we take coming back home.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I had that driving device with Liberty Mutual. I was very disappointed with the way it calculated the discount. They neglected to say that they looked at past driving history which my husband's wasn't a good driver. If I was aware of that I wouldn't have signed up for it. The discount wasn't enough to make a difference so I discontinued it.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

I think that they look at driving history, whether you are using the smart driving app or not, @Von Jones . This is not an actual device that you have to install in your vehicle; it is just an app that you download, and the gps in the Phone app tracks how far you drive, and it also can tell if you have to brake suddenly, or something like that.
    I know that this is not something that would work for everyone, but I just wanted to let people know that such an app exists, and that it is a way to save money on car insurance.

Beth Gallagher and Von Jones like this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Travelers auto insurance..went from $98 :for two autos to $75..until the other day..now will be $105. No explanation.

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have my car insurance and homeowner's insurance with State Farm. I got the bill for the car and truck today. There is a discount of $49.61 on the total. Not much but every little bit helps.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I recently received 2 refunds from my Auto Insurance Carrier; the latest due to universal reduced driving due to the Pandemic, and an earlier one as a response to my letting Auto Club know that I drive less than their minimum distance in a reduced driving category.

Hal

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I recently got one for around $11 and another earlier in the year for $24.

11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Just got another check for $7. had already received $49