Carly Fiorina

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My wife and I disagree, in some respect, on Carly Fiorina.

In my opinion, she is very good when she sticks to political issues, as she comes off as being well grounded in these issues, spontaneous, and well spoken. This doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with her in these respects. My wife and I agree on that point.

Where we disagree is that I think she does herself a disservice when she plays the female victim card, or encourages others to play it in her stead. Although I would vote for Trump if he were a candidate in the general election, I think most people will agree that he's an ass.

Whenever someone says something critical of Trump, he fires back, and he often gets personal. You may think that, in this, he does not come off as being presidential but, quite frankly, we haven't done very well electing those who appear presidential, and I think this is because we have been trained to consider only the polished politician as being worthy of the office. That hasn't worked out well for us, and I know that I am not alone when I say that this is largely responsible for Trump's appeal.

When Trump makes a remark about Chris Christie's weight, you barely hear of it again. When he criticizes Jeb Bush, or treats Rand Paul like an ignorant child, I'm sure the victims aren't amused, but there are no lasting repercussions. Chris Christie doesn't call upon the fat people of the world to unite against Trump, and the media mentions only as a light moment.

However, when Trump is critical of Carly Fiorina, suddenly it's a major issue, and Carly does call upon the women of the world to chastise him for being so insensitive to a woman. After all it worked for Hillary in her Senate race. Carly then goes on the talk shows whining about how hard it is for a woman running for political office.

Hard? The way I see it, with something like seventeen other Republicans running against her, only one dares to criticize her in any way, for fear of being accused of waging a war against women, and being called a sexist. That seems like a huge advantage to me. She can criticize whoever she wants, and no dares to respond in kind.

If you wanted to talk about hard, consider this. In the CNN debate, 44% of the questions asked by the moderators focused on Donald Trump, none of them complimentary. Twenty-six of the questions that were asked included Trump’s name, and eighteen of those questions were asked of other candidates.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am not impressed with Carly Fiorina at all, and the more I watch her, the less I like her ! When she talks, her eyes dart back and forth and never focus on anything or anyone. It really makes me doubt what she is saying.
    I agree that she plays on the fact that she is a woman, and also think that she does herself a disservice when she does that.
    She obviously had at least some of her snide remarks preplanned and was just waiting for the opportunity to use them, especially the one where she remarked that "all of the women in America plainly heard what Donald Trump meant" about his remark concerning her.

When she was asked a question, very often she would evade the whole topic completely and go off on some tangent.
    When they asked her a question about how she would help America if she were elected, she was answering by describing what she thought about the Statue of Liberty, for heaven's sake. What has that got to do with making the United States a better place to live ?
    Donald Trump talked about her being fired from HP, and she just responded by talking about his businesss bankruptcies.

Truthfully, I dislike her so much, it is hard to tell whether I would less like to see Carly or Hillary as our next president.
    I still like Rand Paul a whole lot; but I do not think that it is likely that he would make the nomination, and he has some attitudes that I do not like, even though I agree with most of his policies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lculating-tragic-stepdaughter-s-mom-says.html

3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Carly Fiorina isn't my favorite among the Republicans but to even consider whether to vote for her or Hillary is beyond my understanding. If Carly does win the nomination I'll gladly vote for her. Hillary is a first class criminal and belongs in prison.

Trump, Cruz, Paul, Carson and Fiorina are my favorites so far. I never did like Christy but he moved up a lot in my opinion after the last debate.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Actually, @Sheldon Scott, I was just making my point that I really do NOT like Carly Fiorina. Certainly, if it came down to one or the other of them being in the White House; I would not hesitate to choose her over Hillary Clinton either.
    I thought that several of the prospective nominees did well in this debate. I think that Christie gained ground this time, too. They are reporting that Ben Carson lost points; but I thought that he did better this time around than he did before.

Amazingly, although I seldom watch CNN, I thought they did much better at running the debate than Fox did. This was more of actual discussion of important issues and not just some of the silly stuff that was asked in the Fox debate, especially by Megyn Kelly.

Donald Trump seemed to be under par and not up to his usual self, and I wondered of maybe the efforts of his campaigning are starting to wear him out. He has been traveling and speaking just about every day for the last few months.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I had seen that part of the Republican debate when Carly Fiorina mentioned that Donald Trump had filed for bankruptcy 4 times. I was not able to get the reply of Trump (something came up). But I also saw how Fiorina was trying to muster gender power regarding that remark of Trump on her face. Well, I don't usually comment on political posts but this coming US elections is getting into me because of my relatives in the US who regularly sends me emails about it aside from the posts in the social media. Now, that uncle who is a die-hard anti Obama will be voting for Trump. That makes me believe that Trump is still leading the race after that debate.

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

What I didn't like about CNN's debate was the way they tried to start arguments rather that ask what candidates positions were.

Too much " he said this about you, what do you think of him?"

Also some candidates got very little time. Very unfair.

Lara Moss, Pat Davis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I felt the same way, Sheldon. At the beginning of the debate the CNN moderator said they were going to try something different, and get the candidates to talk to each other. I wanted the candidates to talk to the voters instead, letting us know about their positions.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Sheldon Scott and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

At first I was somewhat impressed with Carly. A little research has now led me to believe she leans in a muslim direction. No thanks Carly.

9. Yvonne Smith

I thought that she was okay at first, too. I have not seen anything that makes me think that she is leaning in a Muslim direction, and would be interested in reading that if you can share a link with us, @Ike Willis.
    The things that I have read do not seem to show that she was very good at the positions that she held, and I read on another forum that HP was selling computer parts to Iran when they weren't supposed to be doing that, and she was the CEO.
    Since she was the head of the company, I am sure that she had to know what the company was doing, and that HP had made a trade deal with Saudi Arabia to be the middle man in the sales.
    Then, she denied that she know anything about these illegal sales , and even said that an investigation had cleared her completely.
    Apparently, that part never happened.

When you watch her talk, she never seems to focus on anything and her eyes just dart around really strangely. Usually, people will look at the person that they are talking to, or at least focus on something; but she doesn't, and to me, it seems weird and very unnatural.
    Maybe Carly is really an alien ?

10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Carly leans to Muslim, Ike?? I'd like to hear more about that.

But about the women's issues vs men….you have to keep in mind several things.

1. Carly is the only female running for the Republican Presidential Nomination out of, what was then, 17.
    2. She was at the bottom of the pack and had to fight her way up. She (and I) thought she was not being taken as seriously as the males in the 1st debate and subsequently not included in the 2nd debate until the last minute when poll rising numbers couldn't be denied any longer.
    3. Women historically and presently have been paid less for the same job and discriminated against for CEO positions…she had to fight her way up for that too.
    4. Women take it personally when being called unattractive. Men are different to an extent. They just say, yeah right let's go have a beer. haha
    5. You just can't deny that there is still discrimination toward women in the workplace…she has every right to make women's rights part of her platform

When asked in the debate to respond to Trump by attacking Trump's face if she'd like (yes, CNN actually put it that way), I was very impressed with how reserved she was to not get into a childish back-n-forth. Instead, she rose above that question and simply said, the women heard what he said loud and clear. Done. Less is more. I thought it was a classy reply to someone playing dirty politics.

She was ice-cold in the debate except when talking of the death of her daughter due to drug over-dose. But has since appeared on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon to start showing her "fun side". She sang a song that she used to sing as a child to her dogs when Jimmy asked her to. She has a beautiful singing voice. I was surprised. And she laughed a lot…another surprise.

11. Ike Willis

Registered

This is all I got so far, from an old speech.

Snarly Fearorina (Carly Fiorina) QUOTE.

"As we work together, let us remember the example of Muhammad. When the Prophet Muhammad was s...till a young man, a stone fell from the Ka'ba. In response, the tribes of Mecca quarreled over which one would have the honor of returning it to its place. Rather than choosing one tribe over another, the young Muhammad solved the problem by placing the stone on a cloth so each tribe could hold a corner of the cloth, and all the tribes could lift it together.

"May the wisdom of the Prophet Muhammad inspire us this week, and may his wisdom guide the Arab world as it works together to write a new story of the ages for our time."

CARLY FIORINA
    VISION 2010: U.S. & ARAB ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES
    U.S.-ARAB ECONOMIC FORUM
    SEPTEMBER 29, 2003
    DETROIT, MICHIGAN

12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, well that's understandable if the audience for the speech was Arab and for an Arab Economic Forum, no? It was no time to be evangelizing by using the Bible….and saying "May the wisdom of Jesus Christ inspire us this week…". Um, don't think that would have been the time for that. Keeping things in context is key. The nation sure did that for Obama with his speeches to the Muslim world.

13. Ike Willis

Registered

That's true but, I'm still not too supportive of Carly. I like Bobby Jindal or Trump so far. Liked Perry but he's out.

14. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I like Rubio and Christie…but I also like Fiorina at this point. I think Trump is the only candidate, Rep or Dem, that can get us out of this 19 Trillion dollar debt mess we're in (some say 18) but he's got to start using self-control and thinking before he speaks…plus some brushing up on foreign affairs. He may polish that up before the election but I highly doubt it. He knows management and contracts. His bankruptcies mean nothing. Walt Disney filed 3 bankruptcies and so did, Lincoln (one) and Henry Ford and Milton Hershey.

15. Ike Willis

Registered

Lara Moss likes this.